This Disappears When Logged In

What Is This Sound???

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by timbo59, Sep 1, 2017.

1. timbo59

timbo59 New Member

For the last few weeks I've been hearing this really weird sound outside on our pool deck. For the life of me I have no idea what it is and I've never heard anything like it - it's like a weird moan repeated over and over. Interestingly, even though we hear plenty of frogs at night as well they all fall silent during the day of course - but this creature uniquely keeps up it's moaning even during the day - it even said hello a few minutes ago as I was signing into this site! I've gone outside and hunted up and down trying to find the source but to no avail - it's so loud at times it seems it must be parked on the wall just outside the window but I can't find anything at all. So I'm guessing it's somewhere in the garden nearby.

I set up a recorder last night and managed to capture the sound, though it really doesn't do it justice. If you listen to the sound file you'll hear all the usual frog sounds with the low and repetitive moaning of the mystery creature at the end. It doesn't sound loud compared to the frog calls when in actual fact it's considerably louder - my best guess is that it's so low that the recorder didn't pick it up as well as the racket from the frogs. I'm thinking it's some kind of toad that's wandered in or a different type of frog that's decided to join the chorus.

Anyone out there who's an expert in reptile sounds?

Attached is the sound file. I couldn't just attach the file, I had to zip it to make it acceptable to the site, so you'll have to open it to hear the sound.

Thanks

PS - oh, and I should mention of course that we live in central Florida!

Attached Files:

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

If you're talking about the low sound around the :13 mark that is the call of a bullfrog.
    They do it during the day too.

3. timbo59

timbo59 New Member

A bullfrog? I'm Aussie, so it's not a familiar sound where I come from originally. My son's convinced it's some kind of mutant living in our back yard.

Okay, if that's a bullfrog it's really in need of some zoloft because it sounds so depressed! lol I have hunted high and low for the critter but he's obviously well hidden, even thought it sounds like he's right outside the study window and has been for weeks.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll let our son know that he can breath easy.

Cheers.........Tim