This Disappears When Logged In

Water To Warm?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by hnw1989, Aug 10, 2017.

1. hnw1989

hnw1989 Member

So I'm in the process of building an outdoor turtle pond for my RES with a 110 gallon stock tank. Today I was working on the top and got some plastic in the water. I fished it out with my hand and noticed that the water is really warm. Like bathwater warm. Went and got my thermometer and it read 97.3 degrees. This is with no heat source other than the sun. My issue is the only outdoor power outlet for the pump has absolutely no shade. I can't really afford a decent solar powered pond pump right now. I know what the ideal water temp is but can an RES stand water temperatures that high?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Easy solution is to just set up some sort of shade that will keep the direct sun off the tank for some portion of the day. A partial sheet of plywood might be all you need. A partial water change with the hose can also be a way to lower the temps in the short term. And no, that is not a good temp for their water to be at, but it does cool down at night also. Mine have never had an issue like that, but they don't get full sun until just before noon.