This Disappears When Logged In

Vitamin A Deficiency Please Help Need Advice!!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Amberlynn, May 6, 2017.

1. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

Hello my name is Amber. I adopted a 4 1/2 year old male bearded dragon named buddy. In his entire life he was only given insects and calcium/D3 but no vegitation/fruit/herbs. I adopted him 3 weeks ago he has the entire proper set up lights/vitamins/calcium/d3/calcium. We seen a vet 3 days ago and they were super vague on what to do and also said she is super surprised he is still alive and living this long. General health good. The vet did not give us any vitamin A supplements or vitamin A injections. I wish she was a bit more into my situation it cost me $95 CAD for the visit and critical care, she also didn't see us on time at all and the appointment at the most lasted 30 mins. She also gave us an info sheets on dragons but from what I read it's mostly seems about dragon as that actually live in Australia outdoors and a lot of the information seemed totally wrong on the sheet it said last updated jam/2014. The main mistakes I saw on it was basking temp no higher then 100 and that adult dragons eat only 20% vegetation and 80% insects which seems very wrong due to everywhere else says the exact opposite. Anyways...

I am currently giving him critical care twice daily once by oral syringe In Morning and once in evening, in the morning he also gets 3-5 worms and at night 2-3 worms. His worms consist of superworms and hornworm every second day.
    I am offering him the best staples and fruits every morning but he will not take them and yes I have tried every trick can't tell me one I haven't thought of or tried lol.

He has a bath every 4-7 days and misted twice a day and offered water in his terrium 24/7. He will barely drink water but the vet said he has no signs of dehydration.

Today I am starting to blend up the vegetation/fruits and syringing him anywhere from 30-20ml morning and evening.
    And I will always always like I have been setting out fresh vegetation all day and playing with him and it to try and get him to take at least one bite, so far no luck.
    Buddy was never given a chance to build up a appetite for vegetation it's very unfortunate.

I'm here to see if there is any other advice I can do to help him become not vitamin A deficient. I am absolutely in love with the dragon I'm hoping I can give him the best rest of his life and a health one also.

So yes any advice on what some have done to help a dragon with vitamin a deficiency will be awesome.
    Prognosis? Tips? Tricks? ANYTHING LOL

Will saline drops help the swelling a bit?
    If yes how do I administer it to the eyes?
    I have saline bullets due to my son being disabled with a tracheostomy and gtube.

PS Buddy was only diagnosed with this deficiency because of the vet hearing he has never had any multivitamins or vegetation also his huge swollen eyes.
    Here is some pics of my handsome boy.
    oi4vs.jpg
    14lppvt.jpg
    2eftgu1.jpg
    2rzv4ll.jpg

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

If he's not losing weight and skinny then there's little need to syringe feed him. That is super stressful on them. You can just stop with the bugs. Chances are he will eat the greens when he's hungry enough.

4. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

I stopped the bugs for a week and make him a fresh salad everyday and he won't eat it. I don't think anything likes being force fed but he will sit there while I get his mouth open and syringe some in about 15-20 CCs is his limit then he try's to run away. He seems alpt more alert since I started feeding him this way and he is eating less bugs now maybe 10 supers a week instead of approx if wanted 12 a day. And his swollen eyes are barely noticeable. I have tried many major staple foods for dragons everyday but he just doesn't show interest and yes I've tried all tricks with what to do to get them to eat it but he just turns away. When I play with it for to long in front of him. Because dragons like to lick while checking out places I've tried even placing random veggies and fruit on my floor and he would rather lick the floor then taste anything that is edible for him...

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, just for the sake of it can you give details of the ambient (air) temps and the basking surface temp plus the humidity range and how you measure all those and a few photos of the whole enclosure?
    There is no reason to stop offering insects such as crickets and roaches/other.

6. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

Use them useing two different thometers ATM because I don't have money to get a temp gun until next Friday. His basking area is 105-110 ambient 75-80 and cool area70-75. He will eat superworms and horn worms when offered but some days he doesn't want them. His basking area is the rock he spends 97% of time there and sometimes goes down onto the wood ramp to chill. I take him out of his house three times a day for about 1-2hrs at a time. He loves being out of his tank. And any day it's warm and sunny we will be in the back yard sun tanning together lol. This is his poo. He poops daily outside of tank, thank god. The last pic is him and my son Ezekiel he loves follows Ezekiel around and watch him play while outside of tank.

Attached Files:

7. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

And his humidity should be around 30-40. In my house I have an entire house system to keep humidity below 40. It's runs 24/7. But I promise to get an actually gun to test humidity to on May.19th

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos and more details... The analogue gauges can be very inaccurate (as much as 15% + out) which means you/we have no idea what the temps or humidity are, I suspect that is one possible reason for the lack of appetite.
    Keeping the dragon outside the enclosure for those quite lengthy periods is also very detrimental to its health, I would limit "outside" time to no more than 15 minutes unless you can be sure the conditions are supportive (indoors or outside).
    A digital hygrometer can be bought from Walmart or Lowes for around $13, that piece of equipment plus an IR Temp-gun for measuring the basking surface temp are absolutely urgent.
    The humidity can range between approx 30 to 50%+, the idea it needs to remain very low at all times is not true, the refuges they use in the wild may have a relatively high humidity, in fact in some parts of their range the humidity can get to over 60% at times ( not suggesting it has to be "tropical")!
    The cloth hammock is virtually useless in my opinion...
    The screen top is allowing much heat and humidity to escape (even though we don`t know what the figures are just now) and the towel is of little use, I recommend covering the whole top as completely as possible (you can use kitchen foil temporarily).
    What type and wattage are the heat and (UVB?) bulbs?

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  9. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

My UVB is reptisun 10.0/13 watt
    That's why his basking rock is up high so he actually reaches the correct distance to get the rays. His basking light is 160watts and is a zoomed. I bought both a lights a week and a half ago. I am investing in a UVB reptisun fluorescent that goes entire length of cage, then I can bring down the basking area because the basking light I have is very nice and strong and I have it on a dimmer switch.
    The set up he has is what I got from his past owner when I adopted him a bit more then 3 weeks ago. I added the new lights and raised his basking area. The second thermometer I use is a mercury strip I keep outside and bring in to check and it seems super accurate same with the other two I am using. The tinfoil is not a bad idea I was thinking about also lining the inside of my UVB some light fixture with it also. I keep my home around 25-30 degrees and he seems very active outside tank. When he is cool to touch he goes back inside tank or he will snuggle on me with some warm blankets.
    Is it still considered lack of appetite when I wasn't syringing him 20-30cc of blended vegitation he would eat up to 12 superworms a day by me placing one at a time in front of him. Now that I'm syringe feeding him twice a day he may eat 4-5 super worms a day or every other day. Is that still considered no appetite? He is 4 1/2 yrs old and his old owner had him since he was 3 months old and never fed him anything but superworms. So I think that's why he has absolutely no interest in vegitation/fruit/herbs and no joke I've tried all the tricks and tips to make him interested he just doesn't care to eat them.

10. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

As recommended I add the tinfoil shiny side down to the top of the screen on one full side of tank and then around the lights like this. I also cut a flap in the screen to let the UVB light stick through because I heard many things and through reading that screens can block a significant amount of UVB rays. And I lined the inside of both light fixtures with tinfoil also.

Attached Files:

11. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

This is a pic from before and after tinfoil. The top is with the to foil and bottom pic without tinfoil, I like that it even helped make it a bit more brighter in their for him which is always a good thing.

PS sorry so many long messages.

Attached Files:

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The coil UVB bulbs are not very effective at all so the sooner you get get a fluorescent tube the better, it only needs to be around 2/3rds the length of the enclosure. I can almost guarantee the gauges are not very accurate.
    The dragon needs to be able to raise it`s core body temp to approx 35c (95f) it cannot possibly do that in a room with an ambient temp of only 30c (86f), so again keeping the animal outside it`s enclosure for repeated and extended periods is detrimental to it`s health, if the core temps get too low the immune system is compromised.
    Is the basking bulb an MVB (mercury vapour) and what size is the fishtank?
    Forced feeding as already mentioned by another member is extremely stressful.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  13. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

His UVB light is a compact fluorescent and basking light is a self balsted merlury vapor bulb. His terrium is 40-50 gallons.
    Also my dragon gapes his mouth a more then few times a day while basking doesn't that indicate he is healthy enough to reach max temp and expel excess heat?? I notice once he does it for a while he will move to his wood ramp for a bit.

14. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

He always basks for 1-2 hours before and after eating and 2 hours in morning when lights first come on and 2 hours before bed. And 1-2 hours a few times a day. He has both lights on from 8:00-21:00.

15. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

A mercury vapor bulb should do both uva and uvb. Check into which one you have. The compact fluorescent is almost useless to beardies also.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just to clarify. A UVB bulb also generates uva. But a uva bulb is just a heat bulb and does not generate UVB.

17. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

Sorry for the confusion reading and then type of isn't great for my dislexec mind :p it's a compact fluorescent because i know it is a lousy bulb but bars new 2 weeks old I added tinfoil inside the dome lid and all around that area, I also cut a whole in my metal screen so it actually is somewhat working a bit. I was reading about the mercury vapor bulbs that's the one I really want but due to them maybe being to hot might not be a good choice. I'm having a hard time finding a light hood for a 18inch t5 reptisun that isn't over $100 everything in Canada is stupid expensive here. And yes I know the UVB bulb is only UVB. My zoomed basking bulb has UVA. My compact fluorescent is from zoomed would that make it a bit better bulb also with the changes I've done to screen and tinfoil add?

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  18. Amberlynn

Amberlynn Member

I also have the compact fluorescent 9omches from the basking rock area due to that being the furthest recommended distance.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The compact UVB bulbs emit both UVA and UVB as do the MVB`s.
    The compact UVB bulbs are not very effective no matter which brand you use.