This Disappears When Logged In

Urgent Heat Tape Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Laura Hamilton, May 19, 2017.

1. Laura Hamilton

Laura Hamilton New Member

Hello. I don't currently own any reptiles, but I used to. Back then, I used Flex Watt heat tape and recently needed to purchase more for another animal I'm getting. I needed it quickly, so I spent the money for overnight delivery from Big Apple Herps. Unfortunately, the heat tape is barely warm to the touch, useless for keeping my animal warm. I've crimped the steel (not copper) clips as hard as I can to be sure they're making contact. After several hours of frustration, I watched this video and discovered the heat tape is not Flex Watt, but a knockoff: This could be why it isn't generating much heat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the clips aren't making contact, I shouldn't be getting any heat at all, right? All I'm getting from each two-foot piece of heat tape is slight warmth. I tried taping the heat tape it to the bottom of my aquarium to see if more heat would build up, but nada.

I need to know if I'm doing something wrong before unleashing my full wrath. I've already fired off a couple of miffed emails. After working so hard and spending so much money to prepare for the arrival of my animal, my fuse is pretty short.

Thanks in advance.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Laura Hamilton

Laura Hamilton New Member

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Established Member

I don't use heat tape, I use ultratherm heat mats under my tubs and tanks. They warm nicely. but won't get hot enough to cook your critters.