This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Vomited

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Jay1718, May 3, 2017.

1. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Last night my turtle vomited. It was just food from earlier, and then he immediately began to eat the food again. I have seen him do this once before a few months ago.
    He doesn't act sick he is swimming, eating, pooping, and basking like he usually does.
    Any suggestions on what caused the vomiting and how it can be prevented? Should I be worried and make a vet appointment?
    Just a quick run down on his setup.
    65 gallon tank
    Water temp 78 degrees
    Ambient air 78 degrees
    Basking temps 90 degrees

2. to hide this ad.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, there`s a difference between actually vomiting and regurgitating food, are you sure the turtle vomited?
    If it was regurgitation one cause could be handling shortly after a meal, did you do that?

4. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

No, I didn't handle him. But it was food, greens and two crickets.
    I'm wondering if he was just too full or too excited. He free feeds with various greens daily and gets pellets and/or invertebrates and fish 3 times a week.
    He has been acting fine all day, swimming, basking, and begging for food. I'm gonna keep an eye on him, if it happens again I'm gonna consult my vet
    Thanks for the reply

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

This isn't something I've had a problem with, but I can think of a couple reasons why it might happen on occasion and not really be an issue. First would be simply ingesting too much food, they can be little gluttons and will happily overeat given a chance. The second thing would be the same as us, it may have just gotten something stuck during eating and that was the only way to clear it. Neither of these things is cause for any real concern unless it starts happening a lot, then there might be an issue. Mostly just keep an eye on the situation.