This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Shell Problem

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Jay1718, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

My RES has pits in its shell, he has had them since I got him as an early Christmas present in November. He also looks like he is going into a shed, but hasn't yet. The shell has no soft spots and doesn't smell. He is active and eats really well. He basks for hours each day, just kinda figured he would have shed already, it's been since November. He rubs his back on stuff in his tank like he is scratching.
    He came from petsmart, so I don't know his prior history
    IMG_1390.JPG IMG_1391.JPG

Attached Files:

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Well-Known Member

Looks like either direct damage or improper growth. Chain pet stores typically to not provide proper care at all. What is your setup for the slider?

4. Jay1718

He has uv lighting on the basking dock, has two fluval U4 filters and a U2 filter, tank is a 65 gallon with 50 gallons of water, going to build a cage topper as soon as I get some time off work.
    Water temp stays between 74-78 degrees. Basking temp is between 89-95 degrees.
    Sorry the pic is from my phone and I can see the reflections from my dining room now, any advise would be appreciated.
    Yeah I kinda figured he wasn't taken care of properly when he started passing rubber bands a few days after I got him.
    image.jpg

5. Jsilverback64

Might be wise to get a stool check done from a vet for parasites. And passing rubber bands is crazy. He's lucky. Hopefully all goes and stays well. What type of uv light are you using.

6. Jay1718

Exo-terra something, can't remember right off hand.
    Yeah I have thought of getting a stool sample done.
    thanks for the reply, after all his issues, I consider Bruno my rescue turtle

7. Jsilverback64

Is it a swirly type of bulb? Compact fluorescent?

8. Jay1718

Swirly, 60 watt

9. Jsilverback64

Try a mvb. They put out both heat and uva/uvb CF (swirly) have been known to cause eye issues. But other than that he seems like he'd be pretty happy. Do research first and make sure an mvb can be done right. As in hight from basking spot. Enjoyou your new buddy.

10. Jay1718

Thanks a lot, had no idea it could cause eye problems

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Subscribed User Premium Member

It probably won't, the ones causing issues didn't last long, but the spiral bulbs available now have really poor UV output anyway. The only issue with the MVBs is they can't be too close to the animal, but just follow the directions and they are great. I use them for all my aquatic turtle basking bulbs. Then I use LED shop lights for the ambient lighting.

12. Jay1718

Thanks for the replies, gonna get a stool sample ran, one more question, once I get a stronger uv light will it help him shed his scutes? I was told to keep him in proper conditions and wait, that it could take some time.

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Subscribed User Premium Member

Make sure you have a good basking area where it can get fully dry, as they need to to help with the shedding of scutes. Also helps prevent a few other issues. And yes it can take quite a while, and they don't usually fall off all at once. Just be patient.

14. Jay1718

Thanks, just didn't want to worry too much about how long it was taking