This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Has Tapeworms?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Jay1718, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:09 PM.

1. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I recently brought a stool sample to my vet and everything checked out ok. Yesterday I was feeding my turtle and noticed a long white thing coming out of his vent. I looked it up on line and it looks to be like a tape worm. I collected the worm and put it in a jar of water and froze it.
    I am going to the vet next Monday, I had to wait until the herp vet had an available spot.
    Is there a better way to preserve the worms, if any more come out?
    Is there anyway I could get my turtle to poop Monday morning, so I now the stool sample is fresh?
    I'm sure the vet will give me a run down on the deworming process, but how long should it take? From what I have read, I'm gonna have to clean the enclosure completely every time he poops. So I'm gonna set up a small tub until he is worm free, just wondering how long my buddy will be without his big tank.
    Should I discard all feeder fish that are in the tank, or is there some way to deworm them as well?

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Well-Known Member

All feeders can be infected. And the tub idea is about the best thing you can do. Tapeworms come off in tiny segmentation and each one can reproduce. Keep his stress as low as you can during "hospitalization" also to help keep his immune system up and strong.

4. Jay1718

I figured as much, think I'm gonna keep him in my in my master bathroom until he is ready for his tank, less traffic.
    Is there anyway deworming treatment for fish, I'm gonna start deworming all feeders before they make it to the tank from now on

5. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Well-Known Member

As far as deworming feeders I'm not too sure. Even if there is though. It may be more cost effective to just breed your own feeders. Then you know they are quality and clean.

Jay1718 likes this.
  6. Jay1718

Haven't thought of that but that would be the way to go, thanks