This Disappears When Logged In

Tank Heater Went Out?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Jay1718, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

My tank heater went out in my turtle tank, the tank is sitting around 73-75 degrees, the water is around 78 near his basking platform.
    I've have already ordered a new heater but it will take a few days to arrive. I am currently running a small heater I just happen to have at the house.
    Should I run to Walmart and get a bigger heater for the time being? The turtle is a red eared slider, I know they are pretty tough, just a little concerned

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Shouldn't be an issue unless your dealing with a hatchling, even then it should be ok for a few days so long as it was healthy and eating well before.

3. Jay1718

Thanks for the reply, he's definitely not a hatchling and is eating well. Actually I got to show him some tough love with his feeding, he is starting to get a little pudgy

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I see them in my area during winter sunning on logs. The water in the lakes and ponds is going to be much colder than anything in your house....
    Unless it's an igloo!
    I would suggest not feeding til you get the temps back up.

5. Jay1718

Thanks for the reply, already got the temps up. I probably worry more than I should sometimes.

Merlin likes this.
  6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Just to give you an idea, in the winter my aquatic turtle tubs regularly got down to the low 60s for extended periods due to my old basement being so cold. Never had any health issues, though I did limit feeding during these periods. They also still had a nice warm basking site too.

7. Jay1718

Ok thanks, that's really good to know.