This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Rack Systems

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Boxraddict, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

Does anyone use a rack system consisting of sterilite bins or whatnot? I am interested in one to combine 4 ball pythons, but am a bit clueless, I mean are these acceptable in the herp community?

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

had my eye on this one
    Vision V70-5 Table Top Rack

which I guess I could add a 5th. But it seems the heat tape would melt the bin plastic? Guess not though

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Nothing wrong with using racks for ball pythons, and they can work quite well for other species as well. And keep in mind you will need to get a thermostat, that is what controls the temperature of the heat tape, and keeps it from getting hot enough to burn your snakes or melting anything. Something else to keep in mind, with an open sided rack like the one you linked, cool end temperatures are usually totally dependant on the ambient room temps. So say the room temp is 65 during the winter, that's what you'd get for cool end temps, which is too low for balls, and many other species as well.

5. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

I seen that for the heat tape. I am looking at thermostats right now.

You have my curiousity, what other species can I keep in them? If I get a 5 tub rack with the dimensions of the one I posted, could I add another species to it? I would do 4 ball pythons, but I'm interesting in another species for the 5th tub. Rosy boa or other?

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The only thing with mixing species in the same rack is that you need to keep it to species that have similar temperature requirements differing humidity needs can often be met on a tub by tub basis by switching substrates and or the amount of ventilation. Temps will normally be the same throughout the rack unless the different levels have separate cords, which would allow you to plug them into separate t-stats. Say for the one you linked, the top 3 levels could be plugged into a splitter which goes into the stat, and the temp is set to accommodate balls. The bottom 2 levels get the same thing on a second stat, and the temps could be set lower to accommodate corn snakes or something. Usually though there will only be one cord for the heat tape, which usually goes back and forth between levels in one long strip. Just went back and looked, that rack uses heat cable, which will basically work the same as the tape, but it is one long piece, so one thermostat. As for those, my personal favorites are the herpstat brand. I have several now, and they have all been rock solid reliable for me.