This Disappears When Logged In

Shedding And Possible Scale Rot On Snake?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Quick_slick, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Quick_slick

Quick_slick Member

Hey you may have helped me here before not to long ago but I'm making another thread now with some new questions. I checked up on my snake today to refill her water dish and look at how she was doing and i noticed she has gone into the blue eye stage which means she is going to shed soon but i've also notice some new things on her underbelly and i believe they are possible signs of scale rot. Can you please help me identify if i should be worried or not by these marks. Thank you very much.

2. Quick_slick

Quick_slick Member

3. Quick_slick

Quick_slick Member

Sorry for all the blurry pics or bad one's i tried the best i could without holding or forcing her in a position. And i was wondering if i should make the switch to paper towels from reptile carpet until i buy new substrate, i read that that could help.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

No problem, I don't recommend paper towels while shedding, as it has a tendency to absorb moisture and you need good humidity for a nice shed. from what I can see it's just normal pinking and wrinkling of the belly, which is normal pre-shed. If after she sheds her skin you still think it looks funny and not like fresh new skin; post some pics then. (Should take a few days)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am not seeing anything of concern. The bellies turn pink prior to shedding.

6. Quick_slick

Quick_slick Member

It's not the her turning pink it's just I've noticed new dark spots on her underbelly that have never been there before.

7. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

Usually scale rot is from them laying on wet substrate, I still can't see anything that indicates scale rot. To me it just looks like patterning and speckling (which can change alittle over time especially when young) We will be able to tell better after she sheds.

8. Quick_slick

Quick_slick Member

Alright thank you very much

9. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Your astute attention to detail and inquisitive nature are good steps in turning into a proper care taker. Kudos.