This Disappears When Logged In

Shed Update

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by JadeCorynne7, Mar 16, 2017.

1. JadeCorynne7

JadeCorynne7 Active Member

so Morty has gotten a bit more of his stuck shed off. Although there is a concerning piece stuck around one of his eyes. I've continued taming and I've tried to place a warm moist paper towel in his hide where he likes to hangout and nothing has helped. I'm afraid to try and soak him due to the stress it would put him thru. He would also NEVER let me touch him with a qtip to rub off the shed. It's such a small amount but I don't want him to be uncomfortable. Any suggestions for a shy gecko with a stuck shed?

2. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Is it around his eye, or is it his eyelid? I know the eye cap on snakes is very different than that of a gecko, I don't think you can rub it off with a wet qtip. If it is truly the the eyelid having trouble shedding, might wanna consult your vet.
    It sounds like a humidity issue. And maybe a vitamin A deficiency.
    I'm no expert, but sheds stuck on the eyes can be serious.
    Mine never had a problem shedding so i can't give you first hand advise.
    Hopefully someone else will chime in, please upload a picture of the gecko. It would make it easier to see what's going on.

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  3. JadeCorynne7

It's stuck On his eyelid and a bit in his snout. I'll try to get a pic posted in a bit. His first shed with me went totally fine. :( his humidity levels are always right where they're supposed to be if not a bit higher since he's had the shed stuck on him. He can still open and close the eye fine. And the eye itself is not swollen, pus filled, or red. Just a clear normal eye.

4. JadeCorynne7

Here's a few pictures of his eye. He's sleeping right now. He can still and does still open his eye fully and can see fine to my knowledge.

Attached Files:

5. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I know you don't want to but I would try a warm soak

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  6. JadeCorynne7

Ok thanks so much!! I'm gonna try and get a small contain inside his tank tonight n soak him in there. I think he'd be more comfortable doing it that way.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how are you measuring the temps and humidity and can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure (including a view of the top)? The humidity that you stated in another thread is quite low, and considering you said the Gecko doesn`t use the moist hide that`s probably the reason for the shedding issue... If handling the lizard is going to be stressful (which it may well be) I do not advise forcibly bathing it.

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  8. JadeCorynne7

Measuring temps with zoo med probe thermoms on the floor of The enclosure and a dial hygrometer about two inches above the floor of the enclosure stuck to the side. His humidity on a normal day sits right at 20 and it goes up a bit higher at night maybe to about 30. When I was looking up and doing research before buying Morty I couldn't get a solid answer from anyone on what's humidity should be. The only good advice I got was don't let it go above 60%. So any advice is gladly taken!! I have been spritzing his enclosure a lot more that usual to keep it at about 40. I'll put up some pictures of his tank when I get home. And I'm not sure how stressed He would get because I haven't tried just because he is so apprehensive of me at times. He's not really bothered by me and he doesn't mind hanging out on my hand. But usually as soon as I move my hand he's going back into his hide.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The analogue hygrometers can be very inaccurate (as much as 15% + out) which means you/we have no idea what the real humidity range might be. You need a digital hygrometer quite urgently. Many people think that because they inhabit relatively arid areas the humidity should be kept very low, but that isn`t taking into acount the fact that the retreats they use will normally be somewhat higher in humidity, yet in captivity they are kept at relatively low levels 365 days a year, apart from (usually) having a single, small "moist" hide and nothing more than paper towels/reptile carpet/similar to live on, and often as with yours, a small fishtank with a screen lid which makes controlling the internal conditions more difficult ( I think you mentioned you were going to cover the whole top, have you done that)?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I`ve been told you can buy a digital hygrometer in Lowes or Walmart for around $13.

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  11. JadeCorynne7

I will 100% be going to get a digital hygrometer tomorrow after work that's for sure! And I did have half the top covered for a while but my foil ripped a few night back and I haven't had the time to fix t but that did help keep the levels a bit higher. What do you keep you're Leo's humidity at?

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, did you get a digital hygrometer and if yes, what are the temps and humidity range and have you now covered the top as completely as possible? I don`t keep Leopard geckos but I`m aware of the basic requirements of their captive care. I think a humidity range of around 30% or so is fine, it should obviously be higher in the hides (50% +)...