This Disappears When Logged In

Severly Injured Swift

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Rainsong, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Rainsong

Rainsong New Member

This morning I caught my cat and dog chasing after something in my patio room. At one time my dog had it in her mouth, but, dropped it when I grabbed her.
    It turned out to be a Swift (I think a Fence Swift), I had planned on releasing it in the front yard, when I noticed his left front leg had been torn off at the shoulder!!
    He just laid in my hand, not moving, and between the physical trauma and pain and stress I didn't think he'd make it. So, I put some antibiotic cream on the open wound (it has a numbing agent in it, although probably didn't really make much of a dent in the pain) and put him in a paper towel lined shallow container, on top of a heating pad, I covered him with a cloth so he would at least feel a bit safer and have some peace in his last moments.
    I contacted a local reptile rescue who told me there really wasn't anything their vet could do for him.
    When I checked on him, he was gone! He had climbed out of the container and was under a napkin on the counter.....I caught him and put him in an acrylic tank with a reptile heat pad, put a cloth over the pad and laid him on it and folded it over him. He didn't stay there long, next thing I knew he was scrambling at the sides trying to climb out.

So...it looks like he may live....

He's still pretty freakin' fast, do you think he would be able to survive outside with only 3 legs?

Assuming I can get him to eat and drink, how long should I keep him inside(assuming he CAN survive outside)?

Thank you in advance for any advice/help you can provide. I truly appreciate it.
    (sorry this post is so long :( )

2. Rainsong

Rainsong New Member

Still alive and a active. After some more research I took out the heating pad last night, I was thinking keeping his metabolism up would help him heal faster....but, apparently it's better to let his metabolism slow down to prevent infection from spreading (if there is infection, hopefully not).
    He didn't stay on it anyway.....He's smarter than I am.

It does appear that he should recover and be fine with only 3 legs, as long as I can keep infection at Bay.

I hate thinking of how much pain he* must be in....

* I keep saying "he/him" because the throat has some blue, but, now I think it may be a "she" since there's no blue on the belly.

Anyway, I haven't seen her drink yet....But, still pretty active.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take her to heal until she can be released?

Any advice on how to get her to drink? I don't want to to stress her or cause her any more pain by handling her.

Thank you.

3. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Hello! Is the little guy still doing okay? I've kept fence lizards but I don't have experience with injured lizards, so I can't help you much with that.

I've heard that once you take a lizard into captivity, they can't readjust to the wild again. Would you be willing to keep the lizard? If that is something that you can do, definitely do some research!

You don't see Fence lizards drink all that often, but keeping a small water dish in their cage is always good! If you mist the cage a little, he might drink some of the water droplets. If it's not eating anything, it probably will need some extra water.

Have you tried feeding it at all? I'm guessing it's probably stressed, so it might not eat, but it'd be worth a try! Also, getting a UVB light might help with this. Or if you are able to give him access to unfiltered sunlight (glass blocks out UV rays).

Best of luck! :)