This Disappears When Logged In

Setting Up A Turtle Tub?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by MyImmortalWolf, Jul 3, 2017.

1. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

So... Shark is growing fast and I finally caved. I'm going to be ordering him a turtle tub soon, but I also need a filter, some way to hang his UVB, and substrate for the land side. Any recs? I'm getting the medium, which is 2 feet deep and holds 65 gallons of water.

Darkbird likes this.
  2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

You might be able to construct a pvc pipe rig to hang his uvb light from. Like a clothes line style crossed section over it.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Glad to hear Shark is doing so well. I usually just hang the lights from the ceiling, but i have also built a wooden rack to hang lights and stuff from before. Pvc would do just as well. For the land area substrate, you could use regular topsoil mixed with some sand, or even just fill the area with pea gravel ormaquarium gravel. Unless your planning on having that space be available for egg laying, it doesn't matter too much what you use.

4. MyImmortalWolf

I still don't really know for sure whether Shark's a girl or a boy (and I'm not really sure how to tell), so I'd like to have something that he (on the off-chance that he's a she) could lay eggs in to avoid problems with getting egg-bound or anything like that.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi, I can't remember from the other threads and currently to lazy to go look, but wasn't shark a red eared slider? If so, they are quite easy to tell apartonce they hit 3-4" or so, as the males will start to developer much longer foreclaws and their tales will become longer, with the vent noticeably farther from the plastron than the females. This actually applies to a lot of the aquatic species.

6. MyImmortalWolf

Shark's a YBS, and I'm hopefully taking everyone to the vet for a checkup soon, so I'm hoping the guy I use will be able to tell me (he probably will, he's a good reptile vet and has been practicing for a while).

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Same rules apply for those.