This Disappears When Logged In

Round Belly But Skinny Hips?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Enchilada, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Enchilada

Enchilada Member

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I was just hired on as the reptile lead at an aquarium with around 80 reptiles and 30 amphibians. I have 10 years of experience with reptiles but I'm stumped on this one. A few of our lizards have fat bellies but skinny hips/tails. No matter how much we feed them, we can't get the weight to go where it needs to be. We dust greens and most prey items. Heat/humidity and UVB are where they should be. A lot of the enclosures were subpar and I'm still working on updating some of them, so I'm curious if this could be a symptom of MBD. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. to hide this ad.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you show a few photos of some of the current enclosures and give details of the conditions (rather than just saying they are where they should be) and also how you measure ambient and surface temps plus the humidity range? Thanks!

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

And when was the last time a fecal was done on any of the animals? If conditions were that bad, I'm thinking internal parasites might be a factor as well.

5. Enchilada

Enchilada Member

I will get photos and exact specs when I go in tomorrow. Didn't list them before because there are so many. We use digital thermometer/hygrometers in the enclosures and use laser temp guns for surfaces. We also measure UVB output of the bulbs with a Zoomed UVB meter and replace them regularly. We are currently collecting for fecal analysis so we can take all the samples of the problem animals in at once. I'll let you know what those results are.

6. Enchilada

Enchilada Member

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to get back. The main lizards I'm worried about are a Frilled dragon (pictured earlier) whose ambient temp is currently 86F, hot spot 105F, humidity high 60s-low 70s. And a Savannah monitor, ambient 78, hot spot 102, humidity in the 50s. Thoughts?

7. Enchilada

Enchilada Member

Also both of these animals have recently been to the vet, with fecal samples. The frilly was clean, the monitor had some possible parasite eggs in his fecal so he was put on a dewormer and tazicef.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi again. The sav is no where near hot enough on the basking, and if it doesn't have access to substrate it can burrow into the humidity will need to go up as well. Your going to need to get the basking site for the sav up to at least 130°f and make sure the site is large enough to allow the entire lizard to bask. This is usually most easily accomplished using multiple lower wattage bulbs. I don't know much about frilleds, so I can't say much there.