This Disappears When Logged In

Rescued Dragon...any Advice?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Whit_Whit, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Whit_Whit

Whit_Whit Member

i brought home a 3 year old bearded dragon yesterday, set up his home two days ago to get the temps correct, only was able to find a 40 gal tank for now but hopefully will be upgrading him in june to a 75 gal when replicon comes threw the tampa bay area. here is his set up ;

IMG_2090.JPG

I am open to any suggestions. i currently am feeding him 8 crickets every other day and have a salad of collard green; kale; and strawberry in there with him.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

Hello. Can you explain in detail what the setup consists of. Is there a uvb bulb? Temps. How are you measuring them. One thing I can see needs to be adjusted is the basking light needs to both onends side. Not in the middle. That won't allow a temperature gradient. Probably put it right above that habba hide.

4. Whit_Whit

Whit_Whit Member

the heat light is the one smaller one above the hide, i have the uvb/uva light in the deep dome in the center. i also have a heat mat under the tank under the hid, but it was used when i purchased it and the temp was only reaching about 80 F so i added the heat source.

this dragon was being kept in a house with tile floors ( here in FL ) with no heat source no uvb light, just free roaming the house that was kept around 72 F. He was only eating mealworms (not alive but more like the kind u feed to birds in a feeder) and fresh fruit so this is his first encounter with live crickets at the age of 3 but let me tell u, he chased the right down and seemed to enjoy them.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you haven`t said how you measure the lowest ambient (air) temp and what the basking surface temp is and the humidity range?
    The compact UVB bulbs are not very effective, much better are the fluorescent tubes such as the Arcadia or Zoo-Med brands @ 12-0% and T5 HO (high output) fitted with a reflector, and they only need to be around 2/3rds the enclosure length.
    Edit: I cannot see a drinking water dish, where is it?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. Whit_Whit

Whit_Whit Member

i have a chameleon already so i have a temp gun and a humidity reader. i am keeping his basking spot at 105F and the cool side right now is at 80F. i don't have a water dish in with him i spray his salad with water. i have porch in which i put meatball out side for about an hour to an hour and a half (2 hours if i have the time) a day in direct sunlight (once again i live in FL) i will attach a photo of this basking.

IMG_2084.JPG

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the details, I would raise the basking surface temp to around 115f, the lowest ambient only needs to be around 72f (daytime) nighttime temps shouldn`t fall below approx 68f.
    You should provide clean drinking water at all times even if the dragon doesn`t make use of it too often.
    You haven`t said what the humidity range is?
    I think if the lizard can get exposure to unfiltered natural sunlight on a very regular basic it would negate the use of UVB bulbs/tubes.