This Disappears When Logged In

Red Ackie Help

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by bmurph, Jan 8, 2017.

1. bmurph

bmurph New Member

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the site and have lots of question...My son was recently gifted a red ackie monitor. We were told he was a baby but I think hes a bit older. He's about a foot long already. I don't know a lot about them so i'm trying to gather some more info. How often should we feed meal worms? They sent a bunch of meal worms and he does not seem to go after the crickets that we put in for him. Also after he easts 2 meal worms it seems that he lays around sleeping for a couple days. I don't know if he's sick or if he's getting over full. He has been in his hide since yesterday about 6 pm. He has been sluggish for 3-4 days. He was very active up until that point, roughly a week of us having him, he was fed 2 meal worms then kind of laid around for 2 days and wouldn't eat anything. He perked up yesterday and was more active. Fed 2 more meal worms then he hung out for a couple hours after that and has been in his hide since. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or if I need to try and get him in to see someone. I'm new to monitor's and my son loves this thing already we don't want anything to happen to him.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

An idea on his health before he was given to your son would help.
    Where did the Ackie come from?
    Also can you give details on on the setup, humidity and temperatures as well.
    Here is our caresheet.
    Ackie Monitor | Reptile Forums - Information

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Subscribed User Premium Member

This is definitely not normal behavior, but without the above details we can't even begin to make a guess what might be going on. Some good clear pictures of the entire setup would likely help as well, if possible. Also a shot or two of the monitor itself if you can do it without disturbing it.

5. dp428

dp428 Established Member

as far as I know of monitors they are very active and very hungry all the time, except for night time of course, so all of this is raising red flags for me. Please provide pictures of the cage and environment he lives in because that is the number one reason monitors become sluggish, loss of appetite or become too stressed. which will inevitably end with the monitor suffering the repercussions.