This Disappears When Logged In

Planning On Building Custom Tank For Emerald Tree Boa

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Treepusherwade, Jun 28, 2017.

1. hey I'm new here and I'm plan on building a tank and I was going to see if you had any in put for the material I should use I'm planning on using wood but I don't know if it i should use plywood or melamine but all input would be helpful I all so was planning on putting a waterfall in

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Definately plywood. Melamine is basically glue and sawdust. If the coating is scratched and moisture gets into it it turns to mush!

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

Definitely plywood, I used to work in a cabinet shop and melamine is way weaker and like Merlin said turns to mush at the sight of water. Plywood is relatively strong but shouldn't get wet either because the ply's can separate and with any wood it swells and harbors mold, so be sure and seal it up real good.

4. Thanks for the input but I think I'm just going to make it out of plexiglass and just do a wood frame

5. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

If possible try to locate the thicker plexi. It is easier to work with tools with cracking. I work in a hardware store and repair windows with it. It is difficult to drill or cut without the special tools. ( cutting not so back with a knife and a flat edge). From what I've seen the 1/4 inch stuff can be sawed and such much easier. It is a bit more pricy though and I think you can get a 4 by 8 sheet of 3/8 in pvc board at lowes for around 75 bucks which should provide you with ample material for a cage the size you would need.

6. Ya that's my plan and ya I'm going with the thicker stuff anyway for that reason

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Established Member

Lexan is much better material to work with than plexiglass. Though it is more expensive, you wouldn't need it as thick, it's less brittle and won't crack or split like plexi.