This Disappears When Logged In

New To Reptiles - Considering A Chameleon

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Angelphish, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Angelphish

Angelphish New Member

As the title states, I'm considering the reptile hobby.

I currently own 4 aquariums, ranging from 4 to 210 gallons, all of which require daily care, and about 3-4 hours of work each weekend. I understand these aren't the best beginner lizards, but I plan to devote myself to the work that comes with owning a Chameleon, just like how I did with my aquariums.

What should I know before owning one? I understand they're tree dwelling lizards, and they prefer a humid, screen habitat. That's about the extent of my knowledge.

These were the materials I was planning to get. Is there anything else I need? Is this a good kit for a male Veiled Chameleon?

Habitat kit: Amazon.com : Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Chameleon Kit : Pet Supplies

Fogger: Amazon.com : Reptile Humidifier / Reptile Fogger - 2 Liter Tank - Ideal for a Variety of Reptiles / Amphibians / Herps : Pet Supplies

Chameleon: Premium High Color Juvenile Veiled Chameleons For Sale Online (Driskel Bloodline) from FL Chams, Buy Baby Veiled Chameleons Now With UPS Overnight Shipping | FL Chams

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Chameleons aren't really my thing, but I do have a few suggestions. As far as the fogger goes, from what I've heard it does perform better than the store brands. The screen cages should work, but you will probably need to make a few mods to actually hold the proper humidity (depending on your environment). Hopefully someone with more species specific knowledge will know, but in most cases it's best start right out with the adult sized enclosure.

3. Angelphish

Angelphish New Member

Is there any general information I should before entering the reptile hobby? Tips or tricks?

4. EctoJoJo

Actually, my best suggestion would be learn your animals husbandry and setup the enclosure before getting the animal. Making sure all temps and humidity ranges are good. Veiled chameleons are a staple in the industry so when you're ready, you won't have too much trouble getting one. Browsing through the forums and reading different things will also help. Suggestions here to others aren't aimed at selling something like you might get at a store.

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

I as well don't know much about chams, but I can tell you to do a ton of research on what animal you want, learn their temps, humidity, preferred environment etc like the back of your hand, look up what dangers there are and how to avoid them (improper substrates, enclosures, lighting, heat, etc.), don't listen to any pet stores, make sure the priority is the animals comfort and happiness. My suggestion is find a Cham breeder that is well established and focused on "quality" animals not "quantity", and then ask them a ton of questions on how they keep their animals happy and healthy. Most are willing to help.

6. Angelphish

Angelphish New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I assume all your sponsors are trusted breeders, as I found one selling panther babies for $180. Hopefully once I research them more and get the habitat set up I can start with a panther.

Baby Ambanja Panther Chameleons

Baby Nosy Be Panther Chameleons

I've learned from my years of fishkeeping to buy quality animals. The higher quality of an animal you buy, the less likely they are to be deformed, they're better colored, and typically healthier. In fact I've basically broken bad on cheap fish and won't buy anything unless it's rare and from a good breeder/supplier...

7. EctoJoJo

I don't know if any of my animals have come from LLL, but they are one of the better suppliers I am aware of, I've gotten other things from them.