This Disappears When Logged In

New Monitor Owner

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by TerraEnvy, Mar 15, 2017.

1. TerraEnvy

TerraEnvy New Member

Hey everyone, I have an asian water monitor coming next week and I'm very familiar with requirements and costs involving them however I had a couple questions.

I have worked primarily with belly heat or room temp animals (Reticulated pythons, leapord geckos, crested geckos, etc) However overhead lamp is new for me.
    So these guys need a basking spot that averages 130F+ and while I have the enclosure and some tiles laid out for a basking area, I am not sure what kind of bulb/emmiters to use to properly attain this level of heat.

I have tried 100W ceramic heat emitters (topped at 97) standard heat lamps from pet stores (topped at 109) and I'm just not sure what to use for this. It's the last piece I need to finish the enclosure before my little guy arrives.

Any particular brand/type suggestions?

-Terra

2. to hide this ad.
  3. dp428

dp428 Established Member

If you could please just give us a couple of pictures of what your current set-up is, much more help can be provided, ceramic heaters are better for ambient heating, for like night time. But seeing how big the enclosure is can result in more or less lighting, hence why pictures are beneficial. Also they still like to sprawl out and get their belly warm so a rock or tile square works well for them to bask on too.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

100_1826.JPG Hi, I use the relatively low wattage halogen bulbs (must be flood beam) at the basking site, depending on the monitor`s size you may need more than one bulb, here`s my male`s basking area to give you an idea. These bulbs must be fitted with a ceramic bulb holder, they can also be used with a dimmer switch which makes adjusting the surface temp much easier, or obviously you can raise/lower bulbs/basking object...
    23944671826_af1ef18d15[1].jpg

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

A few pics of my 6 year old male V. s. macromaculatus, at the moment he`s 98 inches total length... 8988374911_301c0285c8[1].jpg
    12998847374_3f5a4d1973_z.jpg

Darkbird likes this.
  6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yep, like said above. ^^
    Don't just throw in a row of 100 watt bulbs at the top of the enclosure and crank it up.
    You'll cook off too much needed humidity doing that. Building an enclosure you need the ability to lower the bulbs, raise the basking platform and also stated already---put them on a dimmer. It makes things so much easier to control. Not to mention seasonal temperature changes in the surrounding room.
    I realize I'm stating most of what has already been said but....
    In the pic of the floodlight you see the glass pattern if any is the same throughout. That equals floodlight. If there is a clear area surrounded by a patterned area then it's more of a focused beam and spotlight.
    You want to have as wide an area as possible.

7. dp428

dp428 Established Member

to reply to the ceramic lightning sockets.... PLEASE MAKE SURE THEY ARE CERAMIC. I ran into so many problems with rubbers or wooden once, they created so many issue and almost 1 fire. CERAMIC is the only socket you should get. Take it from a person who had every issue known to man with a non-ceramic socket.

8. TerraEnvy

TerraEnvy New Member

Thanks for all the information, It is very much appreciated.
    I can't give pictures currently as right after posting I had to go out of town and won't be back until monday (monitor doesn't arrive till Wednesday) So I can't take pics of the enclosure, but its a 6'L 6'D 4'T enclosure custom built. I have tiles laid out for the basking area. This is just a couple month old monitor from nerd.

I will look into getting some halogen flood bulbs and will update here on monday/tuesday how it went including images.

So would a bulb like this work then?
    Philips 90 Watt Equivalent Halogen PAR38 Indoor/Outdoor Dimmable Flood Light Bulb (6-Pack)-459255 - The Home Depot

Since it says both flood and dimmable.

-Terra

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Can't see the glass on it but it's likely on the right track. Check the glass before you buy them. Just note that sometimes they call them all "floodlights" but might not be in practicality.
    In my opinion 90 watts is not the way to go. I never used more than 60watts.
    Better off to get 2 or more 60's going like Murrindini shows in his pics.

Something you'll learn is that your enclosure might not look as you intended once you start playing around with getting the basking site and warm/cool ends regulated.
    You will need 2-3 days minimum to get this figured out before putting the monitor in.

10. TerraEnvy

TerraEnvy New Member

Just a quick notice, I got everything setup and with a 130 degree basking spot I will post some pictures when I get the chance as I have been very busy the last few weeks (work and just socializing with my monitor)

-Terra