This Disappears When Logged In

New Leo Owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Zipper Gecko, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Zipper Gecko

Zipper Gecko New Member

Howdy everyone,

So, well a trip to the pet store (I know that buying from Petsmart is bad) and curiosity ended up with getting a Leopard Gecko. Of course they couldn't tell me age or sex but he/she will be a solo venture.

I've got him in a 10 Gal aquarium with a mesh top, a red heat bulb keeps the temp around 89'ish on the hot side and just shy 74 on the cool side and steady 20-22% humidity or so. As for temperament this may be odd but he is alright with handling (no skittish reactions). I have him on reptile carpet at the moment but will likely swap out to Eco Earth bedding here soon.

Anyways I will likely be asking a few if not a lot of questions as my room is maintained dark so automated lights and UTH with day/night controller would be nice. I figure automating what I can to provide the best environment that I can. Currently however Zipper (name) shows no interest in food stuff, only been a few days thus far. I did try putting some calcium powder with D3 on my finger which he may have taken as food and attempted to swallow it whole (I have dogs so that "Bite" didn't even phase me). Anyways that is where we are at on the grand venture thus far.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

He could go off of food for up to a week after moving. That's not uncommon. As for the setup. The tank althoughclaims say that's big enough it is really not possible to have a good heat gradient. Also wouldn't use any particulate substrate as it can, not definitely but can, cause impaction. What are you monitoring the environment with? And be sure he has a moist hide to help shedding. Pictures of the underside by the tail and back legs will help with sexing.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Also it is advised that new acquisitions be left alone for at least a week before bothering it. Let it get used to the new digs before it has to get used to you.
    Something else in regard to the not eating. When they shed their skin they will consume it and it may be a couple of days before they are hungry again.