This Disappears When Logged In

New Ball Python Help Plz

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Morgan D, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Morgan D

Morgan D New Member

Hello my name is Morgan. I have a two year old ball python named Roxanne that I inherited from a friend that moved and could no longer house her. I have had her for almost a year. Just recently I have noticed she looks like she is more than ready to shed but isn't shedding. She's never had any issues before and has always had a good shed, all coming off in one piece. Is there anything other than soaking her in warm water that I can do to help her start the process? (I have a reptile fogger to keep her humidity up that kicks on once an hour for about 15-20 min because I have a screen top on her enclosure so the humidity escapes easily) she has a hot side with a big hide and a cold side that has two smaller hides. Down the side of the entire enclosure she has a fake tree branch that suction cups to the side of the tank and a fake vine that runs all the way down the side that she will often sleep under (but 9x out of 10 she is under her large hide on her warm side.) She just ate last Saturday (today is Friday) without a problem and I haven't noticed any other issues other than this. Maybe this isn't even an issue, I'm just more aware of it because I handle her more now (within the last month or two) then I have in the past or her previous owner did. (Currently Handling her 2-3 times a day). She seems very lazy she hasn't been up exploring her enclosure at night like usual or exploring around when I have her out with me. she just nessles into my side or balls up at my side and falls asleep. she's my entire world and I'm so conscious of her needs and her health because I would die if I lost her. Help!

(I attached just some images of her in her day to day life)

Attached Files:

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

You seem to have the basics covered. What type of measuring instruments are you using for temps and humidity? Along with your readings. I saw the eyes and nose were in pre shed color, but the rest wasn't so " blue" like I experienced with mine. Perhaps It's just a slower process this time with age.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

Wouldn't worry about the shedding. She will shed when she's ready. At a certain point after the juvenile stage they start shedding a lot less (because they're not growing as much and the skin isn't stretching)
    And sometimes they wait awhile to shed it off after the blue, really not a big deal.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Like it's already been said, sometimes it just takes a little longer. The shedding process can vary slightly depending on age, health, humidity, temperature etc. It doesn't always take exactly the same amount of time. I wouldn't worry. Just make sure the conditions in the viv are up to par and that she always has fresh water to drink, and you'll be fine.