This Disappears When Logged In

Need a Qucik Tip

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Russellm0704, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Russellm0704

Russellm0704 Member

I have kept bearded dragons for almost 5 years now and have learned a lot about reptiles. I have always wanted a leo and yesterday the chance presented itself. Yesterday, I was at Petsmart getting my dog a new collar when i saw something that i thought was wrong. They had a small hatchling leo on sand with about 9 other leo's in a small tank. I had to take the hatchling home and put him in my 10 gallon with newspaper and the right hiding spots. I also got the undertank heater for him. He won't eat any of the small mealworms I have so Im wondering if hatchlings can only eat pinhead crickets? He has pooped twice since i got him and he did play around in the shallow water bowl.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Crickets would be great, no longer than the space between his eyes! Pinheads are so small, they are about the size of the head of a pin, thats why they are called pin heads.
    He is going to need some time to get settled in and feel comfortable! What is your setup, pictures would be great!

3. Reed22

Reed22 Elite Member

petsmart/petco always do that and its so wrong that if it were up to me id take them all home. they have bearded dragon which look like they hatched yesterday with 8 in bearded dragons in a tank smaller than a 10 gallon. and they have water dragons(3) in a 20 gallon long. it sounds like you did the right thing, i guess you could try waxworms, they are squishy and smaller, and he prob. just needs some time to settle. good luck

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Congratulations on your new family member. Yes PetSmart and Petco (most pet stores, in fact)do the same thing. I know the conditions are deplorable...but by buying one from them all that us happening is you are giving them permission to continue. For example, if there are 10 baby beardies or leos or water dragons in one enclosure with sand substrate and you buy one or two- they will simply refill the void with one or two more. The chain becomes unbroken again and actually becomes stronger because "Someone will come un to rescue these cute little guys". Sad but true. If you are in the market for one and just have to have one that day, then by all means get it, but don't buy one impulsively just to save it from the poor conditions they are in. You really can not save them all. Sad, but true.

5. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Ditto on what David posted above.....I think all of us have been there at one time or another and I know we have all thought we were "helping"...What's done is done and now the focus is on getting the little one to thrive in your care...

As MLD stated, giving us a rundown of what you are keeping him/her in now would be helpful.. And he/she will indeed need time to settle in...So for the first week you just need to make sure he/she has the proper set-up and temperatures.. I would not offer any waxworms as those are like candy to a Leo, and can be VERY addictive to them...You need to make sure your leo is eating healthy..I suggest that you place some properly gutloaded mealworms in an escape proof container in the enclosure..Only go into the enclosure this first week to replace the mealworms not eaten with others that have been gutloaded...(place the ones not eaten back in with the others so that they can become gutloaded and eaten later.)
    If your temperatures are correct, you have enough hides, and your leo is left alone for the first week, then he/she should begin to feel safe/secure and should begin eating those mealworms that you have placed in the cage..A healthy leo will eat in his/her own time, and within the week he/she should be eating for you.
    I encourage mealworms only the first week, because they can be left in the enclosure and you don't have to worry about them eating/nibbling and just stressing out your leo like crickets can do....If you feed crickets, then you either have to remove your leo to another container to eat...(which will stress him out more) or you have to make sure you remove any crickets not eaten...and that can be difficult to do because crickets are notorious for hiding in the enclosures and then nibbling on the leos later when you are not looking.

Good luck with your new pet and feel free to post pictures of your little one.:)

6. Russellm0704

Russellm0704 Member

Thanks for the replies, i have him in a 10 gallon tank with paper towel for substrate and a undertank heater on one half of the tank. I have 2 hides, (one on each side) the one on the cool side is moist. I left small mealworms overnight and this morning and none of them were eaten. I tried crickets the width of his head and he didnt want those. Is it normal for him not to eat for the first couple of days? And am i suppose to feed him at night since he is nocturnal? Thankyou so much. And i would add pictures if i could figure out how because there is now browse button for my folders. It just asks for URL

7. mld

Here is a link on how to upload from your computer;
    http://www.herpcenter.com/site-tutorials/6020-how-post-images-your-computer.html

It's normal for them not to eat for the first little while, they usually suggest no handling for the first week, just feeding, cleaning and changing water.

You need to know what temperature is in the hot hide, this is called the basking spot! A digital thermometer with a probe touching the inside floor of the hot hide.
    You'll want that spot to be 87-90 degrees, if its too cool, they will not want to eat and will not be able to digest any of their food.
    There are many brands out there, this is the one I use;
    Hagen Exo-Terra Digital Thermometer w/Probe with any Under Tank Heater you should have it plugged into a thermostat, this is very important so that it doesn't get too hot and burn or too cool. The Repti Temp 500r is the one I use;
    Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R

You should have 3 hides, a hot hide on the hot side , a cool hide on the cool side, and a moist hide in the middle!
    Here is a article on how to make a moist hide;
    Moist Hide Creation
    You should have a little dish, a plastic lid of a soda bottle, with Pure Calcium!
    Here is a photo to give you a better idea of the set up;
    one is of the whole thing, one of the hot side and one of the cool side!
    Here is a caresheet for you to read;
    Leopard Gecko Care Guide (Eublepharis macularius)

Attached Files:

8. Russellm0704

Russellm0704 Member

I reconstructed the tank to match the one you showed me. Here are some images below. He still hasn't touched the mealworms and again he wasnt interested in the crickets this morning. I just really wnat him to eat. Thankyou all and I will hope for the best.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      14.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I have a Leo that came from Petco's nasty conditions. When I bought mine I did give them heck for using the calci sand. Once I started getting REAL food into my Leo she was able to push out the calci sand...took about two days before I noticed no more sand, and trust me. There was sand in there!!

My Leo is now a healthy adult with no ill effects. If yours does not eat in 5 to 7 days, I would get a syringe plan in place. But remember moving from a sand substrate to one that is not...can take them some getting used too. I would also remove the crickets legs to help the little one catch them better. Also keep in mind some baby Leo's don't like meal worms. It took over a year before my other Leo would even look at a meal worm.

Good luck (and the paper towel is much better then news paper. I would also add in some more plant like items for more security.)

10. mld

She may be too small for those meal worms, remember no longer than the distance between the eyes! I would also do what Medium suggested and remove the crickets, much easier to digest, but must be small!

11. Medium

Medium Elite Member

"Crickets legs" LOL...they still can hunt and makes it much easier on a little Leo. Even when a Leo gets older and ages can apply too :D

Thanks mld!!!

12. mld

My bad, thanks for picking that out! yes, just remove the cricket legs not the whole cricket! :"> That would have made it very confusing, LOL

13. Russellm0704

Russellm0704 Member

The crickets I have are the width of his head and some are even smaller.. He won't go near them.. He runs away from them.. I will try taking their legs odd but I just need him to eat

14. Russellm0704

Russellm0704 Member

And every time I try to feed him he just runs to his reflection on the side of the tank

15. mld

You can try covering up the sides of his tank, it will take a while for him to feel comfortable and accustom to his new home! make sure you give him lots of cover to go from one area to another! People usually give them a week to get settled in, offer him food, water, and clean up any poops, but leave him be for a week! If you feel that he isn't well then try to collect a poop and take it in for a fecal!
    A lot of these stores sell these leopard geckos way to young, or sick!
    Force feeding is the last resort! But it you have to pick up some Fluker's repta-aid, you should always have this on hand either way.
    Repta-Aid Critical Care Formula from Fluker's&reg - Supplements & Medications - Reptile - PetSmart

What are your temperatures in the hot hide? and how are you measuring them?
    If temperatures are too low he will not want to eat!

16. Russellm0704

Russellm0704 Member

The temperatures are around 90 on hot hide as I'm measuring with the zilla digital thermometer, do you recommend crickets or mealworms? Have been offering him both but so interest yet

17. mld

A lot of people say that hatchling shouldn't have mealworms, they are harder to digest! I personally would try crickets, just take the legs off and count how many you put in the food dish! Make sure that you feed your crickets well, feeders are only as good as what they eat; also dust them with calcium!

18. Knox

Knox Elite Member

My Petco Leo didn't make it. I hope you have better luck with yours.

They are sad looking lizards, that's for sure.

19. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

Im sorry to hear that buddy, Im having problems with my baby as well but not giving up yet

20. Russellm0704

Russellm0704 Member

Good news guys.. Took off the legs of three small crickets and put them in the food dish last night.. When I woke up this morning he had pooped and there was only 1 cricket left!