This Disappears When Logged In

My Iguana Just Died I Don't Know What Happened

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Josephs_mom33, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Josephs_mom33

Josephs_mom33 New Member

I had my iguana for about 2 months I made sure he had food and clean water daily. Since he was still getting used to me he wouldn't eat in front of me. I went to my local pet store bought him a basking light a UVB light and a heat lamp and of course his calcium powder. I sprinkled some on the food as instructed by the pet store however my Thomas wouldn't touch his food if the calcium powder was on it. So I stopped putting it on his food and started putting it on him. I cleaned out his tank every 2 days. Long story short I fed him last night a mixture of romaine lettuce and a mixture of vegetables and made sure he had clean water then went to bed. This morning I woke up around 9:30 am and saw Thomas was still sleeping. It gets relatively hot in my home so I turned off his lights for a bit and let him be. I made a bit of noise so he opened his eyes to look at me then went back to bed. It was about 1pm that I realized he was still sleeping so I went to check on him but he wasn't waking up. I tapped on the glass even tried spraying him but nothing. Then I realized he had not been sleeping at that in fact he had passed away. Can anyone please help me understand what I did wrong? I loved Thomas with all my heart he meant the world to me and even in death he STILL means the world to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Josephs_mom33

Josephs_mom33 New Member

So it turns out Thomas was just playing dead. I went to check on him again and he decides he wants to open his eyes now. I'm not sure if I should be upset or relieved. :cool:

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Established Member

Still if he's playing dead that's a good indication that something is stressing him. Maybe go over your care req's again, and if you like; post up some photos of his enclosure and give details of heat and humidity. Do you turn lights off at night?

4. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Definitely some photos and specs of the enclosure could help. You obviously have some attachment to your animal and there are some great minds here to help coach you in the direction of some possible improvements. I myself might suggest from the info available, there are some supplements that are in spray form that might not prevent your iguana from rejecting the food like the powder. There is also a good list selection in the articles section that can direct you in the hierarchy of best to worst vegetable items to feed as far as nutrition. I have personal used it and started gardening with the items that are hard to pickup in the local grocery store.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

First off sounds like the diet needs tweaking. Lettuce is not a good thing to feed as it has zip for nutrition.

How much calcium are you using?
    If you are seeing a lot of it, you are using too much. It should be used as if you were salting your own food.