This Disappears When Logged In

Meet Rambo The Redfooted Tortoise

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by Moshpitrockchick, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

With the promise of buying a new house on the horizon I started plans for a Redfoot Paradise. A while back a found a guy via Craigslist who has a daughter who went to college and didn't bring her red foot with her. Because of this Rambo wasn't getting the best care and he wanted to pass her on to a new family. He was going to keep her until we got settled in, but something came up and she has arrived early.

Meet Rambo

This is how she came to me, dried out like a little raisin with claws like a mole.
    p1766431765-4.jpg

A week later she is looking good, we have been giving her regular soaks and lots of sunshine and good foods. She is very friendly and a great eater.

p1648320393-4.jpg

Sun!
    p1944132022-4.jpg

Merlin and Darkbird like this.
  2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very nice. I still would like to get a dwarf species sometime.

3. Moshpitrockchick

I love them so stinkin' much. They are never jerks like the iguana was and they are more people-centric than the leos are beardies that I have had. If I am laying out in the sun watching them they ALWAYS come say hi and ask for a neck rub or a shell scratch.

4. kriminaal

How old and what is the length?

5. Moshpitrockchick

The Redfoots are a mid-size tortoise. They usually get no larger than 18 inches with a lot of people saying 12 is average.

My 2 year old Ruby (Gender unknown, incubated female) is 1lb and about 6 inches long when you measure the bottom of the shell. She is the 'mean' one who rams men and tried to intimidate the larger torts.

Rambo (Female) is about 8 inches and only weighs 3lb 12oz, but we are working on fattening her up.

Vern (Male) is 14 inches and 12lbs. He is built like a brick house and he is strong, but we call him our shell puppy. He's really great with handling and actively seeks out human interaction.

Notice the dominant behavior on Ruby's part - she lays on 'her' part of the food so the others can't get it and then eats whatever they are going after. She doesn't usually get to eat with the other two because she's a little piranha.

p1990014429-5.jpg

kriminaal likes this.
  6. Moshpitrockchick

Oh and the Brazilian's are smaller than the other subspecies. They are commonly called "Cherry Heads" because of their bright red coloring

7. kriminaal

Most tortoises are quite pricey up here. Almost bought one at a show last year. I believe it was a Greek.

8. Moshpitrockchick

Mine seem to come to me for pennies because people don't realize they are stubborn and they poop like German Shepherds.
    Lucky for me mine usually go in their bath so I'm not constantly cleaning it up. It's no worse than the iguana was.

9. Moshpitrockchick

Two weeks with us and she's fitting right in: p1924483168-4.jpg

10. Moshpitrockchick

11. kriminaal

Every time you posts pics it stirs my interest in them again. Such an old world look to tortoises.

Moshpitrockchick likes this.
  12. Moshpitrockchick

kriminaal likes this.