This Disappears When Logged In

Lighting

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by kandio40, Feb 8, 2017.

1. kandio40

kandio40 New Member

I have a water dragon, we have a dresser made into a habitat/home for him. I am having trouble with the lighting bulbs...i have uvb, uva and night heat bulbs...using zilla heat and basking fixtures (not cheap ones). I am writing about the white dust from the light bulbs and the smell. Can anyone give me info on this and what i need to do and why? Thanx for any info.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I'm not sure what you are talking about, did the lights break? I don't know of any bulbs that have powder on the outside of them or a smell.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The only bulb you need to worry about is the UVB. Everything else is just a heat source.
    There may be a temporary odor from the bulbs initial heating up but it should not last long.
    There should not be any white powder unless a bulb has broken.
    If that is the case, strip the tank! You need to get that powder out of there.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

And to be honest, you save a fair bit of cash getting basking bulbs from the hardware store instead of the pet store. The only pet industry items I use anymore are UV bulbs, and assorted specialized heat sources (under tank heaters, ceramic heat emitters, radiant heat panels) and quality thermostats.

6. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

Mega ray. Reptileuv.com perfect for water dragons.