This Disappears When Logged In

Leopard Gecko Eyes Won't Open

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Haley Hahn, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Haley Hahn

Haley Hahn Member

I bought a baby Leopard gecko about a month ago. After a few weeks she started keeping her eyes closed all the time normally I have to take a qtip and rub water on them before she opens them. She is shedding but I'm not really sure if that's the problem.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Tell us in detail exactly how you are housing it. This is not normal behavior.
    Pictures may be helpful as well.

3. Haley Hahn

Haley Hahn Member

I will post pics when I get home. They have a heating pad on one side of the tank and a heat lamp and there is a cave hide with Moss in it on the warm side. Then I have a hide I made on the other side that I keep moist paper towels in. The temp is normally 80 and humidity is normally at 45

4. Haley Hahn

Haley Hahn Member

Today she was on top of her hide near the wet moss all day. But now one eye was open the other was not. Here are some pics

5. Haley Hahn

Haley Hahn Member

6. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

You need a hot spot about 85 to 90 degrees. Don't know if you have that or not, but you didn't mention it.
    As far as the hides I always offered three, a moist, a warm, and a cool hide.
    As for the eyes, there is a lot of things it could be. It could be an infection, or it can be a vitamin A deficiency. It could also be a peace for substrate stuck in the eyes, I can't make out what kind of substrate you are using.
    Is there anyway the gecko could be dehydrated?
    You could try to flush the eyes with a sterile saline, the kind without preservatives. But in all honesty your best bet is going to be a trip to the herp vet.

7. Haley Hahn

Haley Hahn Member

Yes sorry. I have warm hide that stays around 90°. And I use the terrarium carpet.

8. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

You need a warm dry hide. Being in too much humidity all the time can cause upper respiratory infection in animals from arid climates. What is the terrarium relative humidity? How do you measure your environmetals? What type of light are you using. Your gecko looks very thin in the pictures. The tail should be 1/2 to 3/4 the width of the body or so. It could very well have an infection or parasite.

9. Haley Hahn

Haley Hahn Member

I got her from petco about 3 weeks ago. She was smaller than what she is now. I boutique some eyedrops that a vet recommend and also bought some spay that helps with shedding. And she started keeping her eyes open after 3 days of the drops. And yesterday she was shedding a lot. Her hole head was covered including her eyes and she was dragging a piece as big as her back behind her.