This Disappears When Logged In

IS My Corn Snake Happy?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Kira, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Kira

Kira Member

I bought him a month ago and my parents don't know about it so I keep him under my bed... I take him out everytime my parents are at work or asleep, and almost everyday I let him wander around my arms and hands... Everything else is as it should be.... But I worry he may not be happy due to being hidden most of the time, even though corn snakes like to be hidden...
    And I wanna know if he's unhappy because if he is I can't stand that and I'll have to find an alternative...

2. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Before you can ask anyone if you snake is happy you would need to provide all keeping information. Such as size of enclosure temp on hot an cold side.

3. Kira

Kira Member

Okay, I'm sorry!! Everything else is as it should be, I think! He's 5 months old, about 40cm long! I keep him in a terrarium 40x20, with a heat math under 1/3 of the area. Temperature on the cold side is the same as my room, around 19ºC, and the hot side is 30. I have a water boul big enough for him to "dive" without drowning, and I change the water every three days. (He shed three days ago for the first time, all good, no problems there :D) I feed him every week, a pinkie, in the evening... never had trouble eating. As for the "soil" I use napkins, because it's not expensive and he likes to hide under them. I also bough one shelter, shapped as a little tree branch for him to climb and on the inside has enough space for him to curl up (wich he does a lot ^^) and I keep it in the middle, because Î haven't found another one yet ( I was told I should have one on the cold area and another on the hot area).
    I handle him almost every night, for about 20min and he doesn't seem to dislike much, at first he always run, but then just slides through!

I believe that's all... Problem is I have to keep him hidden most of the time :(

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Snakes don't really care about where they are, most breeders keep their snakes in a rack system which doesn't really let them see out. They don't feel lonely, but they do feel safe as long as they have good hiding spots.

I'd be careful about how you plan on telling your parents.. Moms tend to find anything, I think they have some sort of sense "Hmmm, something is hidden under the bed, I should go clean my child's room tonight!"

I'd mostly be careful about what they would do if he was found! I don't know if you have any plans on moving out or anything soon, or how long you plan on keeping him hidden! But no, being hidden won't make him unhappy as long as all requirements for care are met

5. Kira

Kira Member

REALLY?!?!?! OH MY GOD THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! I've been going on about this for hours!! (it's 6am in my country lol) And there was this guy on another forum that said he was miserable because of the hidding under the bed thing...

I'm studying to be a vet so, 4 or 5 more years until I move out! But no problem with my mom finding out, our maid takes care of all the cleaning so she won't go look under the bed no matter what :D And it's big enough for a bigger cage when he grows up, so no problem there either!!

YEY!!! :D I can keep my baby then ^.^

6. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Snakes aren't dogs or cats.. Honestly a lot of snakes would be happier in his situation than being in an aquarium in a busy room with people walking around him all day! They are private animals... As long as you are sure he has proper heat, humidity, shelter, and food.. he's good. And as long as you know he is safe from anything bad happening! Snakes can live for 30 years.. So get ready for a commitment and if any possible issues happen with your parents.

7. Kira

Kira Member

I knew they last many many years before I got him, I read about snakes on the internet and talked to a friend who has one as well, so I knew what I was getting into!! And I'll provide everything he needs! My only problem was his happyness, but now it's solved!! IF my parents find out I'll try talking them into liking snakes ^^ if that doesn't work I have many friends at uni who I'm a 100% sure will take good care of him until I move out!!

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your enclosure could stand to be a bit warmer. 19 is too cool. The cool end should be 23-24C.

A 5 month old corn should be taking larger than a pinkie. You want to feed them something about as big around as the snakes body at the widest spot.

To be honest I would seriously advise you to talk about the snake to your parents.
    Imagine if the snake got loose! Or they happen to find it. Your pet might end up being beaten to death because they thought it something wild that had gotten into the house!
    You will also find yourself on much better grounds in the discussion if it doesn't begin by them finding that you have been decieving them.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing, what would happen if he escapes!
    Does the maid know about the snake?
    As a mother I have to say we do have the sense that something is up!
    I would start writing a speech on what to say to your parents, secrets like that are never good.

10. ShortStack

ShortStack Member

A: Tell your parents! You should never bring a pet into a house without getting permission first. I don't care if you're 10 or 30! I want a ball python right now, but still live at home. I'm 21 and until I have the go ahead, I wouldn't DARE bring any animal into their home!

B: While I don't have near the experience or know how that some of these people here, I would have to agree that him simply being under the bed wouldn't make him unhappy. If he seems to be growing and healthy, he's probably quite content.

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm 44 yrs old, live with a husband who doesn't care for reptiles, I wouldn't bring a reptile in the house without his ok first. It's just a matter of respect for each other. Mind you it is tempting, since I really want a snake, I just have to work on him. Who knows one day with a little coaxing and sweet talk I may have one.
    Good Luck, do all the research you can and prove to them that you are responsible.

12. Merlin

Just a though. SInce it is under the bed, is it in complete darkness 24/7?
    That is not good. They do need to have a day night cycle.

And being responsible is the biggest part of the issue. I am a father and a grandfather who, needless to say, loves animals.
    But if one of my kids tried to pull a fast one on me like that the animal would be gone!

13. Kira

Kira Member

I lift the bed cover during the day so he can have night and day periods, so no problem there, except on weekends...

The thing about my parents is I've been asking for this since I was 5 (I'm 20 now)... There's no way they'll say yes... And I really like my snake, I don't want to give him away :'( A husband is someone you can work with on these things, parents just say no and no means no... And if I ask for a reason all I get is "because I don't like it / because I said so". I don't know how to make them change their minds :(

14. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I feel for your situation BUT...all this proves to me is that you are sneaky,not responsible. If MY dad found a snake living under MY bed growing up, he probably would take a shovel to it. And I would of had no say in the matter! The only way to have what you want is to get your own place I am afraid. I hope nothing like that would ever happen, for the snakes sake. And that's what you are resposible for.
    You have to think about the snake...and I know it makes me sound awful and old, lol.

15. Merlin

That is their reason. Its their house where they pay for everything. You have to respect their wishes.
    You may just have to go with it and wait for your own place.
    Your behavior also has a ramifictaion that YOU may have not thought of.
    You are legally an adult!
    If the snake is "discovered" you my find both you and the snake are ordered out of the house!
    My mother was the same way. She is deathly afraid of snakes.

16. Kira

Kira Member

Being sneaky and not being responsible is not quite the same I believe... If I do things right no one will find out, so no problems will come from me being sneaky - therefore I was responsible :D I agree it's not the right thing to do, but 15 years is a long time to wait.... I don't want to wait 5 more years :s plus when I finish uni (I'm in the second year in vet uni) I'm considering specializing in exotic animals, such as reptiles, so it's good if I start getting more familiar with them now...

Anyways, I'll follow your advice and try talking to them about it... I'll prep a big fancy speech and all :p I'll try everything to make them say yes! if they still say no, after knowing how I feel about it.... I'll keep him anyway!

17. Kira

Kira Member

If they find out I'll just say I'm watching him for the week for some friend who needed me to, for some reason...

18. Merlin

You'd be surprised how many people in prison thought that same thing.
    All we can do is advise you. The ball is in your court.

19. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

WOW :/

I think that is a very childish thing to do and the responsible thing to do would be to think of the consequences of your actions. You are planning on things that you may not be able to control. It being found by anyone for any reason could result in the snake ending up dead or you and the snake without a shelter. Many of parents have said "I have had enough, not in my home" and gave there child the boot. Sometimes for less.

I never had a silverspoon.