This Disappears When Logged In

Intermediate Lizard Ideas?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Reptil25, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Reptil25

Reptil25 New Member

I've been into reptiles and have room for a new pet but don't know of many good species that aren't super hard to care for. I've been looking at something like a desert Iguana and have room for anything up to 3-4 feet. Although something around 2 1/2 would be better. My current pets are small and I'm looking for something bigger. Any ideas?

2. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Active Member

An argentine black and white tegu gets about 3 ft long and are thought to be the smartest reptile on earth. They're very docile and are really tame. Or you could go with a savannah monitor, they're about the same, both docile and tame. It's your choice.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, neither of those can be considered "very docile and tame" or easy to care for, and who told you the Tegu is the "smartest reptile on earth" (they are certainly not)!?

4. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Active Member

Yes they are they're considered one of the best pet reptiles to own do your research and I said it's thought to be before you come reply to me telling me I'm wrong research what your about to say

5. Luke98

Luke98 New Member

Like he said I think a Argentine black and white tegu would be a very great pet because they arnt extremely hard to care for and if you get it as a hatchling and have daily handiling they "can" be close to puppy game but like always all lizard same species or not are diffrent

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I can't think of any larger lizard species that would be considered "easy to care for" or even "Not too difficult", although the latter is a matter of opinion and your personal ability and experience.
    Most large lizards eat a ton of food (my 1 sav is more expensive to care for than all of my snakes combined), need a ridiculous amount of space, and just in general make a mess of everything around them.

7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Both of those species require a lot of time, effort, money, and space to care for properly. The OP asked for an intermediate species, the care required for either of those animals to thrive is a bit past that. They also stated they preferred something smaller than what those species grow to

8. waagyl

waagyl Member

Bearded dragon? A little smaller than what you're maybe looking for but they're awesome and easy to care for if you do your research. I've had mine over 5 years and I just adore him!