This Disappears When Logged In

Ideal Feeding

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by SomeLizardsInABucket, Mar 16, 2017.

1. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

I purchased a Mojave Pewter Ball Python after his owner needed to do some downsizing. I estimate him to be about 4 feet long, and was told he weighs 1769 grams. I don't have a good scale, so when the weather warms up I'm going to take him down to my snake guy and use his scale and get him a general health check. I was told he was getting a medium rat, but I think he looks a bit underweight (canot be seen in picture). I read somewhere else that a snake of his weight should be getting large rats. I'm only hesitant because he will very rarely take f\t, and mostly only eats live, a finding that was confirmed by his previous owner. I was just looking for some input 20170315_161823.jpg

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

You could try a fresh kill large rat. It'll still be warm naturally and will not risk injuring your snake. You just want to kill the rat as humanely as possible.

4. SomeLizardsInABucket

Yeah, that might work. I'll give it a shot

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Nothing really wrong with feeding live if done responsibly. More important than the size of the prey is how often was it being fed? A medium rat once a week should be plenty even for an adult, unless breeding activity is involved.

6. SomeLizardsInABucket

That's what I was thinking. I don't leave live in there with either snakes any way, so I was just curious.

7. SomeLizardsInABucket

Well found out a few things. I got him from a guy that seemed nice, but this he snake is actually a she snake, and is not a Mojave Pewter, but is in fact a Cinamon Mojave Pastel, which became more apparent once we figured out she had one to two almost full layers of retained shed on her.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ugh, yeah that will make a difference. Good luck with her.

Merlin likes this.
  9. SomeLizardsInABucket

Thanks. Now she just likes to escape. I found her in a chair this morning. She never used to do that

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Get that cage secured, no fun looking when they don't make it obvious, lol.

11. SomeLizardsInABucket

I have a 32 pound bag of rat food on it until the new locks come in. She has been escaping and heading towards the rat breeding cages so hopefully with the cage covered and a fresh killed rat in there she will eat