This Disappears When Logged In

I Think My Atf Is Sick

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Coakley, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Coakley

Coakley New Member

About a month and a half ago I bought a young AFT from an online distributor. He came in the mail and appeared to be in decent shape except for what looked like a small red mark on his chin. Now his face looks worse than it had before and he is losing weight. Unfortunately I live in a rural area and do not have easy access to a vet, so if any help outside of finding a vet is much appreciated.
    He lives in a 20 gal tank. The temperature is usually between 80 and 95 degrees on the hot side of the tank and humidity hovers around 45%. He also lives on a substrate of coconut husks and eats large gut-loaded crickets. His activity level is usually very low as well and he usually spends his days hiding. I do live in a particularly noisy area though, so I've been chalking this behavior up as shyness.
    I've raised ATFs in the past and never seen this before. Please help.

2. Taterbunny

Taterbunny Member

Honestly, best thing you can do is try to find a vet somewhere decently close. All we can give are guesses. :'D
    When you say his face is worse, do you mean the redness has spread, or something else? Also, be careful with that substrate, they can get impacted. Has he been eating all the food offered during regular feedings? How many are being fed? Is he dragging his weight, or can he support himself on all fours? Maybe provide some pics?
    From what I've experienced, my geckos all hide most of the time as well. Could just be how he is, or due to his weakened state.
    From my take, a guess might be parasites. I've not really had experience with redness on geckos, though I did have an iguana who would ram into his cage and scratch his face. Is it like a cut/torn off scales, or like a bump/sore of some sort?