This Disappears When Logged In

How To Lower Humidity?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Chrysanthemum, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

Hello everyone!

I am getting my first snake (a Kenyan Sand Boa) delivered in four days. I am setting up the tank ahead of time to make sure the heat and humidity levels are correct before placing my new pet in her home.

The problem is that the humidity is way too high. High humidity is a general problem where I live. The ambient humidity in my place is 60-65%.

What are some safe ways to lower the humidity to what my snake will need (30-40%)? This is the first reptile I have ever owned, and the first pet I have ever had to provide a specific humidity for.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Have you checked the humidity in the cage with all heat devices running?
    This often reduces the actual humidity level in the enclosure. It burns it off.

3. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

Haha. I just talked about how the heating devices might lower the humidity in my other thread. I should the rest of my supplies, including the heating devices, in the mail by tomorrow. I will be sure to update the thread then.

4. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

My supplies didn't arrive today. Here's hoping for tomorrow!

5. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

Should I cover the screen top?

I received my supplies today. I plugged in the heat mat (with a dimmer) and a ubv light. It has been two hours with the hot spot holding steady at 92 degrees (measuring with a probe directly touching the glass bottom under the aspen bedding). The humidity has yet to go down.

Since the humidity is so high in my home, should I partly cover my screen top lid? Let the air get trapped in the tank and hopefully dry out some with the heat?

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Send pics? Was the aspen moist?

7. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

Say hello to Chamomile!

The pictures aren't very clear, because I was keeping the light off to hopefully make her feel more comfortable in her new home. She is nocturnal.

And no the Aspen is dry.

She is hard to see in the second photo, because she is almost the same color as the bedding. Chamomile is in the middle right.

Attached Files:

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I meant pics of the whole enclosure, so we can see stuff like where the heat source is in relation to the water bowl etc.
    Btw keeping the light off will just mess with the sleep schedule. If we had the sun shining all night we wouldn't be able to sleep at night very well. The opposite is true of nocturnal animals. They need the light to tell them it's sleepy time. I have mine set up to a timer. They get 13 hours of light every day during the normal season. (Less during winter)
    Plus they come from desert climate, so having no light during the day is very unnatural indeed!

9. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

I am just keeping the light off for the first day. I will keep them on a day/night schedule, no worries. The water bowl is on the opposite side of the tank from the heat source.

10. Boxraddict

Boxraddict Active Member

Very nice looking sand!!!