This Disappears When Logged In

House Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Geckos, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geckos

Geckos Member

So since nobody gives a consistent answer on what I need for my leopard gecko, I decide to just learn more about house geckos.

Here are my Many questions and I AM listening so don't tell me I'm not.

How many house geckos can I house in a ten gallon tall aquarium as I already have one?

How much should the heat gradient be and do i need any special lighting even though he's getting natural light and some incandescent light 10 to 12 hours a day?

How can I tell the difference between male/female house geckos?

How big will he/she get and how fast? (estimate)

can he/she eat mealworms if I crush the head?

what size crickets should I feed my juvenile house gecko and how many a day?

How many climbing accessories do I need since I have one big grapevine, 3 rocks, and a hiding/ climbing spot along with fake leaves?

How many hides do I need( I have one so far but he hides under rocks and things to)?

Do I need a moist hide if I keep the humidity at around 60% to 70%?

do I need to keep the humidity up if I have a moist and dry hide?

How often will he/she shed and how long does it take?

These are my questions and if you feel I need to know other things please tell me but don't even bother replying about what I said at the beginning as I don't care.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

First off, ending a question with a rude comment will NOT get you very many responses around here! This forum is polite and friendly and we aim to keep it that way!
    Second the link to the caresheet I gave you
    House Gecko Care Sheet and Information - WNYHS
    will answer the questions you are asking.
    Please read it and then if there is something that needs clarifying we will be glad to do so.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Are you sure you have a house gecko? Can you post a photo so we are clear on what we are trying to help you with? Read that care sheet that merlin gave, it tells you everything you are asking.

4. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Okay, I'm getting to this a little late, but if you found the gecko in your house you need to release him. No matter how small he is, wild reptiles have large territories and confining him to something as small as even a 15 gallon tank is cruel. If you're looking for a reptile to keep as a pet, a wild gecko is not a good choice. Let him go, sanitize the tank and RESEARCH something that would fit your time, space and budget. Remember that all pets, even reptiles, need vet care. Will you be able to afford to take your lizard to the vet? If not, will your parents help you? Owning a pet is a very serious commitment, and catching something wild and calling it your "pet" is not a good idea.

Good Luck.

5. Geckos

Geckos Member

no, my friend gave him to me, he said it was a house gecko and he's breeding them.

6. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

You really need to keep your story straight. First he was caught in your house. Then you found him in a sand pit in the backyard, now your friend breeds and sells them. Which one is it?

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I have to say, maybe the reason you aren't getting consistent information is because you aren't giving us consistent information, or asking consistent questions about consistent animals. After just QUICKLY scanning all of your posts, I have seen in 3 threads you asking about a house gecko, a leo, a crested, anoles, and bearded dragons. And you keep going back and forth between a 10gal and 15 gal tank...

8. Geckos

Geckos Member

I just want to know about all species because I let my three house geckos go cuz it turns out my friend caught them in the wild.

and I don't think you shud care about what I want to ask about, if I ask about leopard geckos or crested geckos or anole I really don't want somebody to question it but would just like straight information about the species and their needs if I DECIDE TO GET ONe.

I'm only 10 years old so sorry if I'm confusing you.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And you should really learn some manners! You are not running things here and being rude to people is NOT going to make them want to help you.
    We try our best to answer any questions that we get but sometimes we need more information to clarify exactly what you are asking. And when you bounce around from story to story it makes it hard to give you valid information. I seriously doubt that you want us to mistakenly give you bad information due your confusing us as to exactly what you are talking about.

10. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Not only what Merlin stated, but also, there are people that might think that keeping these animals together would be ok. So with you asking about all of them, we try to clarify because you should NOT mix multiple species.

Your best bet to getting good specific information would be to take ALL the caresheets you have been given about the reptiles you are interested in. Have your parents read them over with you, and then decide which ones might work best with you.

Once you have a short list, come back with your questions.

I would STRONGLY suggest doing the research first and then getting your enclosure setup, once that has been set up for a week or so and you KNOW you have everything right for the specific animal - then you start looking to buy the animal. Just make sure its home is set up correctly first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.