This Disappears When Logged In

Hook Recommendations

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by giveuptheghost, Jul 12, 2017.

1. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

So I've had my JCP for 4 years or so and she's always been pretty cage aggressive. Squirmy once out of the cage, but I don't think she's ever struck at me once out. Pretty typical of her to strike during the 'getting out' portion though. I have these leather gloves I put on when I pull her out, as an added precaution. She's never actually successfully tagged me.

I was talking to someone about finally getting a hook to train her on getting out of the cage and see if that helps-- I mean, I can do it with the gloves, but it's clearly stressful for her and I don't want to stress her out every time she needs to come out for cleaning or whatever. For all I know, she was hooked the first 1.5 years of her life anyway. I have been searching ebay for a hook and there's quite a few options, but I am having trouble finding a resource that suggests appropriate sizes of hooks for snakes. A lot of the ones on ebay seem like they'd be fine for a baby snake or maybe something comparatively small like kingsnake, but I don't want to buy one and have it be too small.

This seller has a few different sizes, as an example I've linked to a 38" one below.

38 INCH "STAINLESS STEEL" V SNAKE HOOK / REPTILE HANDLING STICK

Would that be big enough or too small? Or too big?

As always, thanks for your feedback!

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on the girth of your snake and the comfort zone you want with distance. I've had luck making my own with a 4 inch paint roller (minus the roller part) on a broom handle of your choice. You can bend the frame part and cut handle to your liking, or use an expanding one.