This Disappears When Logged In

Help. What Kind Of Snake?

Discussion in 'Venomous Snakes' started by a69smiley, Sep 10, 2017.

1. a69smiley

a69smiley New Member

My dad found this snake in our backyard. What kind is it? He kept saying it was poisonous, but I'm not sure. Since we live in Dallas, Tx in the city. How did it get here? :( It looks like a baby, right?
    Thank you for your help. ;)

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your father was correct, that snake is a coral snake. Red is touching yellow. There is another species, called the milk snake, that are extremely similar in color except its colors are Red, Black, Yellow. The coral snake is Red, Yellow, Black. Coral snakes are venomous. Milks snakes are harmless. If you do not know which species you are looking at, do not touch it. The pictured snake is indeed venomous from what I can see.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes as the old rhyme goes...
    Red touches black
    a friend of Jack
    Red touches yellow
    Will kill a fellow.
    Which is only regarding North American species.
    And being in the city makes no difference. Snakes are adaptable and where there is food...there will be snakes.

4. a69smiley

a69smiley New Member

Thank you for confirming. Now, should we expect more since it was small? And.....how do we keep our home free of these venomous snakes? Repellents? Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions welcome please.
    We have small dogs and children that play in our yard regularly.
    Appreciate any advise. Thank you again.

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Not sure if it works, but they do have a product called "snake-a-way" at garden supply stores. It's a repellent in granule form. Cowboys also used to take a thick rope and string it out around their campsite to keep snakes away. Again, not sure if it works or not. Also, not usually found in North America but there are species of coral snakes that don't follow the rule and have the same color sequence of a milksnake.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Corals are not a large snake. Adults average 2 ft, although some specimens can reach 4 ft. So despite being small it is not necessarily a baby. And most of their time is spent burrowing.
    That said, this is a highly venomous snake, in the same family as a cobra. So keep your eyes peeled.
    I have no experience with the alleged snake spray but I can tell you that the rope keeping snakes away is totally an old wives tale.

7. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

It certainly sounds like an old wives tale doesn't it? It's the only thing I've heard of that was even slightly worth mentioning though. I wonder where that comes from? Most of us here would probably rather have a back yard full of snakes, and have no reason to figure out how to get rid of them. :)

8. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

Something funny and maybe helpful:

I have a friend who found a venomous snake in his house last year. He heard that if a man pees around the perimeter of his house, it can keep small animals (including snakes) away. He has a medical condition that requires him to keep a container next to his bed to pee in, because he will not make it in time to the toilet if nature calls in the middle of the night. So, he thought, what the heck, might as well try pouring out the container around his house.

So far he has had no more snakes in his home. That might just be coincidence, but possums have also stopped coming around to eat his outside cat's food.

9. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Coral snakes are venomous, but unlike rattlers, copperheads, and cottonmouths they don't have large fangs. Their small mouths don't open nearly as wide either, and they actually have to chew to get their venom into play.
    Granted, small children may be inclined to pick one up and their fingers would be small enough for the snake to present a danger, but not particularly likely.

10. a69smiley

a69smiley New Member

Thank you all for sharing your wealth of knowledge.
    We have purchased "snake away" to put around the perimeter of the house and will make that perimeter larger a little bit at a time.
    As for the urine, we most likely will try that as well.
    This jus made us really uncomfortable knowing that it was venomous. Especially since we have small dogs and children in our yard often.
    Again, appreciate the great information.
    Thanks.