This Disappears When Logged In

Help Plz

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Sgt Blade, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Sgt Blade

Sgt Blade New Member

My wife and I just purchased a ball python a week ago. It's about 18inches long. It's been extremely timid it even struck at my wife at Peta mart. My wife was reassured by the store clerk that that was normal stress so she took him home. I made sure the snake had the proper lighting and a dark shelter for him to hid in. Recently though if he's out and you are anywhere near his enclosure he strikes at the glass. I am getting worried for his safety not sure if I should take him back and try somewhere new.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hatchlings snakes are high on the prey list to be eaten. This makes them a bit timid. Add to that the stress of being in a pet shop tank with all the idiots banging on the glass. They will usually settle down. How do you have the enclosure set up? They need hiding spaces to feel secure.

4. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

A week is a short time. They can take a few weeks to just get used to thier new home. Petsmart doesn't care for them right and definitely increases stress. You may try putting a towel of other shade over the front of the tank for a week. Only interact for water and food. Let him relax and be stress free. It will help him calm down. Also could try putting something in there that smells like you. A worn to shirt or something. He will Likely hide among it and will help get used to your scent.

5. Sgt Blade

Sgt Blade New Member

As of right now he is in a 30 gallon tank I have a large flat rock with a small opening for him to hide in and a water dish other then that nothing else in the enclosure.

6. Sgt Blade

Sgt Blade New Member

If you guys think it's just something he will grow out of with some patience from our end. I will try the towel trick since I am worried he will hurt himself hitting the glass that hard.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Give him more places to hide. I recommend at least 3. One on the cool end and one on the warm end. Plus a humid hide. These are shy snakes and a lack of cover can make them a bit twitchy.

Jsilverback64 likes this.
  8. Darkbird

Darkbird Subscribed User Premium Member

Good advice so far, I would add that covering the back and both ends with brown paper or something would likely help a lot, you could even do the bottom 4 inches of the front. In addition to the extra hides, a bunch of fake plants littering the bottom will help provide cover. I use natural looking stuff from the dollar store, just rinse them off in hot water well before using. As Merlin said these guys are pretty much hardwired to think "giant scary thing gonna eat me!" any time they see something bigger than them, so the idea is to let them be able to move about the cage, going from hide to hide or what ever without being seen much. I would give it a couple weeks before you start trying to handle it also, snake sure it is eating first. They need time to get over all the stress.