This Disappears When Logged In

Heating For A Cold Home?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by warhawk373, Mar 6, 2017.

1. warhawk373

warhawk373 New Member

So my dad was a fire-fighter, so he is kind of paranoid about things like heating lamps and pads. My room is in the basement so the cold air drops, it is 68 upstairs and around 65 F downstairs (way too cold for reptiles). I'm about to start an ant colony (they require the same temperature as snakes generally) and I was wondering what some pro's thoughts are on heating. I have a wooden cabinet that has lots of shelves and is easy to access, I was thinking about putting them in there so it can stay dark but my problem will be heating. I tried to buy one of those heating pads from petsmart once for a fish tank but it wouldn't even get warm, it must have been cheap or something. For my setup in my cabinet I was thinking about putting some insulation in the area where the enclosure will be then putting a heating pad inside. So for those of you experienced in keeping snakes and lizards, would that setup work and keep them comfortable? Also, if you own a reptile in a cold home, how do you keep it warm? Last, what are some safety precautions I can take so my dad won't be paranoid about a fire if I leave the heat-pad on at all times.

P.S. I can't have a warm room, there's no empty room in my house to do that and my dad is afraid of mold growing if I keep my room too warm.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. hnw1989

hnw1989 Member

You wouldn't use a heating pad you cant just get from the pharmacy you need to get an undertank heater and a thermostat both of which you can get at just about an pet store. The thermostat will keep the UTH from getting too hot.

4. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Well-Known Member

With a parent as a
    Paranoid as your dad. I think your best bet is to not try and get a reptile right now. If he is afraid of mold because of a warm room then he has some issues that need to be dealt with before you can safely and properly house any pet.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not true. Many, myself included have used human type heating pads for years. You just have to find them that do not have the auto shut off feature.