This Disappears When Logged In

Grass In Savannah's Cage

Discussion in 'Plants' started by dp428, Jul 13, 2016.

1. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Hey everyone so i got some free Sod from some gardeners, who had extra at my apt, and so i decided to cut it up and put in my Savs cage, First off wanted to see if there are any threats to my sav that i should be worried about. Second if a UVB bulb will produce a full spectrum light that will allow the grass to grown in cage (Dont know if UVB is Full spectrum). And if their are any tips or anything else i should be aware of. Thank you. Also if you any tricks to help the grass root faster if possible that would be greatly appreciated.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The only concerns would be whether any chemicals have been used.
    A 2-0 UVB fluorescent tube should help with plant growth (you can also buy others that are specifically made for plants).

kriminaal likes this.
  3. dp428

dp428 Established Member

are there any tests to ensure no chemicals, the Gardner said no, but he may just been tryin to be nice and try not to make me think about it

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Chemicals would definitely be the major concern. If you look you can see that newly sodded areas are virtually weed free. I can't see that being accomplished without some kind of chemical treatment.
    I'm not sure of any tests that could be done to check though.

5. dp428

dp428 Established Member

Hmm do you think it is worth it, or should i just make sure to keep an eye on my savs behavior? Like if he seems less active or something like that i should prolly take it out? Because he loves it right now, he is just laying directly on it and stomping on it and stuff like that i don't want to take it away unless i have to. But ill make sure to do some research on Sod as well to see what people generally use and stuff like that also what preparations they take before they planting.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not to be too harsh , but the time to worry about it would have been before putting it in. Now it will be about dealing with the consequences as the animal has already been exposed. Keep a close eye on its behavior.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To be honest almost any commercial nursery product is literally bathed in a chemical concoction! Pesticide, fungicide, fertilizers and who knows what else.
    If it were me I would remove it. Since its sod that should not be too difficult. If you want grass in the enclosure just seed the substrate and let it establish.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree with Merlin, remove the turf immediately.

9. dp428

dp428 Established Member

So i did remove the turf after recieving these messages, i didnt rlly want to get rid of the Sod though so what i am thinking about doing is just growing our hthe grass for a few months, change out the dirt periodically and then hopefully after a few months all the water and dirt should filter out the chemicals. Would like some feedback on this as well if anyone has tips on this.

Also my monitor's behavior was completely the same, although he was pissy when i took the grass away, lol. He is eating regulary, basking, running, and walking so i dont think he is in any danger. but of course he will be under close observation.

Btw iv been on here long enough to know u guys arent trying to sound harsh its just your passion for the animals and the desire for these animals to be taken care of correctly. I am still learning and will always come here for the blunt answer becasue i want the information that doesn't kill my sav.

Jlb34 and Darkbird like this.
  10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Glad you didn't take offense. And so far as I know the chemicals should work their way out over time, but it might be easier to just set something up to grow your own sod, or just seed the cage and wait like was suggested.