This Disappears When Logged In

Getting A New Snake

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by DemonE, Feb 13, 2017.

1. DemonE

DemonE New Member

I've got a little bit of a struggle. Im a pretty small reptile owner only owning 2 bearded dragons. I also have a fish tank, however some of my siblings who live in the house think I already have enough pets. Some of them don't mind snakes whilst 1 hates them. However, their main excuse for why I shouldn't be allowed to own a corn snake is because I don't need one, or what would happen if I wanted to go on holiday. The second is easily answered, being that I prefer to stay at home rather than go out on holiday. My father thinks it's fine for me to stay at home and take care of my beardies whilst the rest of the family apart from 2 are away. However I've been trying to explain to the ones who don't want me to get one that I have enough money, space, time etc to take care of another pet, being a corn snake which I love due to their docile nature and cute and small looks. However they keep coming back with the fact that I don't need one and therefore I shouldn't get one. It's really frustrating because all I can respond with is either, yes but I really want one or that they don't need but want a lot of things. Please suggest some ways to make them reconsider or at least get them off my back. It's really annoying whenever I try to talk to my father about it and they overhear and argue with me about it. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unfortunately when you do not own your own living space, you find yourself having to make concessions. And often a snake can be a deal breaker. some people just cannot accept the idea of snakes intheir vicinity. And I can tell that arguing and fighting about it often will result in something that you really don't want.
    Best advice I can give is to discuss it politely with your siblings, and maybe get them to a reptile shop or expo where they can be exposed to corns hands on and see what they are REALLY all about.
    They may come around or they may not. If they don't you may just have to wait till you are in your own place.

3. DemonE

DemonE New Member

Thanks so much for the response, ill try and take them to a private reptile store or expo, I'm sure theyll start to enjoy them. Besides, the corn snake equipment and viv has been ordered, so I guess we'll see. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your welcome. I grew up in an "only good snake is a dead snake" household. So I understand your dilema.