This Disappears When Logged In

First Shed *im Nervous*

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by JadeCorynne7, Feb 16, 2017.

1. JadeCorynne7

JadeCorynne7 Active Member

hey there everyone. I believe Morty has started his first shed. I'm a bit nervous because I don't know his history with shedding, although all his eye lids, toes, and tail are all beautiful and intact so I'm assuming any sheds he did before getting to me went well. I just haven't started the taming process and I'm worried that a piece of stuck shed will be left behind and he's JUST started to get used to me being near the tank. Let alone be having to grab him out to soak him if anything goes wrong :( any advice on humidity that could help things go smoothly? Sitting right above 20% right now. And he never ever uses the moist hide.

2. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

If your setup is correct, I'm sure his shed will go fine. I had a leopard gecko who only went in the moist hide right before her shed. He is probably gonna eat the shed as well so I wouldn't worry is he doesn't eat a day or two after the shed

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  3. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

Like above said. Make sure moist hide is good and moist. Not puddles wet. Morty should shed just fine.

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  4. JadeCorynne7

Ok thanks! From all my research I did I believe his husbandry to be pretty spot on but just in case::
    He lives in a 20 gal aquarium (currently gonna upgrade to a long as he gets bigger) 24x12x18
    I use a regular bulb for light, a zoo med UTH and a zoo med CHE for warmth. His warm side averages 82-84 (floor temps) during the day. The cool side about 74-78 (floor temps) during the day. His basking spot is about 90-92. Humidity sits between 10-20% I kind of have trouble keeping it there but I've pretty dilliganet about it. Especially some days where I find it gets really arid in there. He's got all three hides he would need. Warm cool and moist. Always has water available. Poops fine. Always has a urate attached. I just noticed a little piece of white shed above his eye lastnight when we were feeding. But everywhere else seems just the normal preshed dullness.

5. JadeCorynne7

Ok thanks a lot both of you!! I'm so nervous about everything being so new to reptiles lol

6. Jsilverback64

Don't be nervous. Nervous creates mistakes. Just be careful. And do all your research. Provide the care needed and you should have a happy gecko for a long time.

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  7. Jsilverback64

Just reread your husbandry setup. Sounds pretty good. If humidity getting too low (below 10) then try adding an additional water dish near the warm side of the tank. That should clear and issues. My little blazing blizzard Gizmo had a shed last night. I wasn't home but when I came home this am gizmo still had a small bit of unshed on his head and face. All I did was put him in a shallow bath (belly deep) wet a qtip and very gently rubbed his head from neck towards snout. He seemed to enjoy it and the small but left came off very easily. Left him in the bath just for gigglesome and put the whole tub in his viv. He spent maybe another 15 min soaking then went to his warm hide. So even if they do need small help. It's not hard to do and nothing to be nervous of

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  8. JadeCorynne7

Ok I'll definitely be putting a little water dish in the corner. Some days it gets pretty dry and others it's perfect! The only reason I was a bit nervous if I have to soak him is because I haven't really touched him at all yet. Kinda just been lettin him so his thing. So I didn't wanna add extra stress on him. But I believe he's doing an awesome job gettin his shed off! My boyfriend said that he just came out to get a lol drink and he looked "more orangey" hahaha

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You mention a problem keeping humidity up. Do you have a screen top?

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  10. JadeCorynne7

Yes I do. And I've noticed humidity tends to rise naturally at night to right between 25-30%

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cover the screen with a piece of wood or even tinfoil. You will be surprised at the difference it makes. But keep an eye on your temps as those will likely be affected as well.

JadeCorynne7 likes this.
  12. JadeCorynne7

i actually do have foil over half of the enclosure but I think I'll try over the whole thing! Thanks! It wouldn't be hurry if the temps ended up a bit higher anyway but I'll be sure to watch it a few days and see what happens