This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Size?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Lizzi2598, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Lizzi2598

Lizzi2598 Member

So my corn snake is about a year old, and for the last several months he has been eating three pinkies a week. He's a great eater, never had a problem with him, but feeding three pinkies a week sounds kind of pointless. The problem is, I'm really worried that if I give him something bigger, he won't be able to get it down. His head and neck are very narrow. Is it insane that I'm feeding three pinkies rather than moving up? Do you think he's getting enough nutrition from the pinkies??

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes it's insane! lol!

Don't worry about the size of the head or neck. They are meant to stretch. Look at the widest part of the body. You should be feeding prey about that big or a little larger.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  3. Lizzi2598

Lizzi2598 Member

Today is his feeding day so I bought a fuzzy instead. I was pretty nervous, but with a lot of stretching he got it down and seems absolutely fine. Maybe still a little bit hungry even! Thanks!

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

A year old corn snake shouldn't have any problem taking hopper mice. I bred Dominican red mountain boas last year, and the babies were 18" at birth, with very thin necks. Even at that small size they were taking pinky mice, and most breeders start them on pinky rats when they switch them from anoles. I thought the rat pinks were a bit much for such little babiesm so I feed 2 mice instead of 1 rat pnk. They'll be taking offered fuzzy mice this week.
    I'm guessing your corn snake is bigger than these baby boas?
    Captain%201_zpswtjwdsvj.jpg

Avery4_zpsvtzkcbag.jpg