This Disappears When Logged In

Farewell To A Superstar

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by uvreptilenh, Mar 8, 2016.

1. uvreptilenh

uvreptilenh Well-Known Member

This past weekend I had to say goodbye to my beloved tegu, Dimitri.
    His death was sudden and unexpected, as I found him dead in his enclosure in the morning. Sometime through the night, he must have suffered some sort of internal hemorrhage of sorts because the only evidence to the cause of his death was a very large amount of bloody feces in his cage... this was very disturbing because the whole week prior he had appeared to be in perfect health and there were no signs of him having ingested anything that would have led to this sudden horrific incident.

Dimitri was approximately 13yrs old, possibly older - like many of my animals he had been a rescue. He had been with me for nearly 10 years, and he was one of the first reptiles to join my team of animal educators. He was loved and admired by children and adults of all ages. His curious personality, and calm seemingly lovable demeanor made him such a joy to have in my life. He recognized my voice and would come when called, enjoyed jowl scritches, and burrowing into the blankets on my couch when he was out and about. His eyes held the wisdom of a world so far away from my own and the lessons he has taught me will never be forgotten. He will be greatly missed by both myself and all of his fans who's lives he's touched through educational programs.

Attached Files:

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. Sounds as if he had a good life with you, even if a bit shorter than it might have been. Often the damage done in early life seems to only manifest itself as a shortened lifespan. Even with ideal conditions, it seems often that the damage remains. Hadna similar experience with a big female burm. Sweet personality, unless she was deep in blue, I even took her over to a neighbor's house as he wanted to see her and was very sick. Found her passed a coup!e years later when I went to feed her, no reason just gone. No idea what her care had been before I got her, so could have been anything.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  4. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

SO sorry to hear this. I hope your passion for education will not dull. peaceful memories for you.

5. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss

6. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost a bearded dragon last year; she was 7.5 yrs. old and I just found her passed away one morn. She had M.B.D. though, so you never know how these problems will manifest later in life. All we can do is our best and care about our animals!