This Disappears When Logged In

Extension To Tank For Water Dragon

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Chrris, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Chrris

Chrris New Member

hi

i am about to convert my custom 310L fish tank into a home for a water dragon...i am wanting to extend the tank to make it taller and create a area for the dragon to climb and bask....

now ive been looking around and have seen a few different types on how to do this..perspex,wood and mesh different size glass tanks....as i intend to build a home to house the water dragon for a long time i am looking for the best solution....

the tank size it 39 inc across 24 inc high and front to back is 20 inc so its a fairly decent size tank and i intend to keep around half the tank in water but build a platform about half way for some kinda sub straight, i believe coconut bark is good,but its the top i am concerned about because of temp and humidity within the enclosure,building it isnt a issue just find out the correct materials to use...

thanks in advance

2. Wesleyk

Wesleyk Member

Here's what I built, I think your implying on doing the same thing. It's been a long time but I used plywood that I sealed(don't remember exactly what I used, it's been like 10 years)
    And it the picture it has mesh on the front because it wasn't going to be for a water dragon at first, but I found plexiglass for free online.
    And it held humidity awesome, and when I tore it down 8 years later it was as solid as when I built it, no mold or anything.

Attached Files:

3. Chrris

Chrris New Member

cheers,i think perspex is the way forward and i will make up some doors with mesh pannels on..

iam looking at making a 4ft tall extension so once its all done i dnt have to upgrade the home so once the dragons are in the have a forever home...

tnx for the advice iam sure i will be back on for help once i get started lol

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would advise glass as opposed to mesh. With mesh you will be attempting to heat and humidity the entire room with a cage Heater.
    I think that you misread the previous poster's advice. It was mesh that was later replaced with plexiglass.
    The advantage of glass over plexiglass is that glass will not scratch and become cloudy.

Chrris likes this.
  5. Chrris

Chrris New Member

ahh i see yeah misread it...
    1 thing iam sure of is its not going to be easy but it needs to be done right and the only way that can happen is by asking...

but it will be worth it once its up and running cheers again

Merlin likes this.
  6. Wesleyk

Wesleyk Member

Merlin was correct, sorry if I worded it wrong, I changed to plexiglass as soon as I decided on a water dragon, as mesh would not hold humidity.

Glass would be a way better option as plexiglass does scratch easily.

But which ever way you build it I'm sure everyone here will help you and your water dragon will
    Be very happy, they are definitely interesting little guys, mine had so much character I always think about getting another.