This Disappears When Logged In

Eco Earth for Leopard Geckos?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Lollipopgecko, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Lollipopgecko

Lollipopgecko Well-Known Member

Is Eco Earth ok to use for leopard geckos?

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I would highly advise against it; Eco Earth is designed primarily for humid-type reptiles. In its dry form, it can be easily ingested (especially by geckos hunting crickets on it) and it poses an impaction risk. If you're looking for a more natural-looking substrate (i.e. that which they would be exposed to in the wild) try excavator sand instead. Otherwise, paper towel, slate/tile, or reptile carpet are safe options.

3. Lollipopgecko

Ok, thanks.

4. Lollipopgecko

I replaced the Eco earth with natural river sand and the enclosure still looks great!

5. Yeah, don't forget about impaction as well!

6. Lollipopgecko

It's really fine sand, so she won't get impaction. Plus, it's not the calcium based stuff and the bag even said that it would not cause impaction.

7. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Never can be to careful. If she shows any sign of having toileting issues put her on paper towel. You can also always get tile cut for her enclosure if you want a more natural look to her housing. Or get the sand colored reptile carpet. Personally I just use paper towel for my own peace of mind then rick my geckos health.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The bag lied. Any sand can result in impaction. You have to be careful. There are really no truth in labeling laws when it comes to pet products. They can say pretty much anything they want, whether its true or not.

9. Lollipopgecko

Oh, then I'll get rid of the sand. I found this cool thing called the exo terra sand mat that's a rubber mat with a rough, sand like surface. I looked up pictures of the leopard gecko's natural habitat and the sand mat is a lot like it. The only problem is that she has a GIANT terrarium , it's similar in size to my turtle's 75 gallon. I want to change it, but my mom would get mad if I moved her to the 20 gallon long.

10. DuskHwy

DuskHwy Active Member

I had never heard of a sand mat and am going to go research them because of your post... Thanks for sharing!

11. Lollipopgecko

No problem!

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I honestly think the best things for a leopard gecko is as was mentioned by other posters is either paper towel or the tiles.... imo the tile is best as it retains heat for a while after the lights go out such as in their natural habitat and it is very easy to clean with a wet paper towel and it is cheap as it don't have to be replaced......

13. MentalMilkSNakes

MentalMilkSNakes Active Member

Most people who are keeping one leopard gecko don't want to use paper towels. It looks like crap and it's fun to make your leo's tank look natural. Slate or ceramic tiles are the way to go because they look natural and they are perfectly safe.

14. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

Definitely dont use fine sand! Thats also risking an impaction..Just use a reptile carpet or sand mat. I used to have a sand mat and theyre great but they can get really gross really fast.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is also a sand colored shelf liner paper which will give you a nicer look than just newspaper.

16. Lollipopgecko

Ok, thanks for a the advice guys! :)