This Disappears When Logged In

Earthworms for Beardies?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by JustRuthiey, Jan 10, 2014.

1. JustRuthiey

JustRuthiey Member

This coming week I will be getting a CWD, he has mouth rot so I will be buying his Red Wigglers (Earthworms). I was thinking about maybe breeding them...
    Could Puff, my bearded dragon, eat them too? I have heard some say they are full of nutrition and others disagree.
    I will breed them so I know what conditions they are in and what they have been eating.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok there is a difference between red wigglers and earthworms(nightcrawlers). Earthworms are big and a pinkish brown will red wigglers are small, thin, and red. Not that you cant feed either one as they are both healthy and nutritious but the red wigglers arent a favorite of most animals as they are said to be bitter. So you should try feeding them first before you start the breeding venture as you dont want to end up with a massive worm farm that no one is going to eat.

That said Bearded dragons tend to have problems grabbing ahold of earthworms so feeding them can be a bit tricky. My young male eagerly eat earthworms if I roll them in the supplement powder first as this tends to help him grip it. My young female beardie will try and try and try but never actually gets the worm wether its coated or not and she gives up after awhile.

4. JustRuthiey

JustRuthiey Member

Oh I read that they were the same thing, well gee!
    I wonder who said that red wigglers were bitter? Hehe, I wouldn't eat one! o:)

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have no idea where they got that info but I do know that even my box turtles that are known for eating anything they can catch refuse to eat the red wigglers but the fish like them.

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Red wigglers exude a slimy, slightly toxic mucus when disturbed, which is why they are said to be bitter.

7. Just

Just Elite Member

Nutrition Content

has earthworms listed as a food item you can feed beardeds occasionally.
    Ca:p Protein. Fat. Fiber. Sugar. Water. Notes
    Earthworms- unknown 10.0% 2.0% unk  unk 84%

Do not buy worms raised for bait

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You can use bugs raised for bait. I do since its really the only place that carries reasonably priced worms. Pet stores worms and bait worms are raised in the same farms generally. Only real difference between the two is they put a picture of a reptile on the front and charge 5x as much.
    If you use mealworms rasied for bait just gut load them a bit first. Earthworms though have a healthy diet anyways.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have always been leery about using bait house bugs. Having grown up in a family of fishermen I am very well acquainted with just how nasty and dirty many bait shops are.

10. jarich

jarich Elite Member

The issue it seems with many bait shop worms is that they sometimes use manure. As you can imagine its not the best thing to feed a feeder prey.

Ive found that the cheapest way to buy them is online. There are numerous places that sell them by the pound (about 150) and are much cheaper than bait shops. You have to buy a lot, but if you get the African ones, they are quite easy to keep alive (and even breed if you want to!)

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

where do you buy them online? I have found numerous places that sell red wigglers but none that sell earthworms...maybe I need to search by a different name...

12. jarich

jarich Elite Member