This Disappears When Logged In

Dwarf Chameleon Sexing And Substrate

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by ETBMikenel, Jan 4, 2017.

1. ETBMikenel

ETBMikenel New Member

Hi! I'm new to the forum and would like a few tips. I am housing two Bradypodion chams (not entirely sure which bradypodion) in a roughly 20.8 litre tank.

I would like assistance with sexing each cham AND advice on which substrate would be best to use. I am battling to get the chams to drink and so far have managed only to see them drink when I drop water in front of them using a small syringe. I have provided them with a drip tank system but they use this only when desperate.

The reason I need assistance with substrate is that I have been battling with moss growing where water spills. It takes a matter of hours for the substrate to begin growing moss after water has spilled resulting in the tank being cleaned every day. The chams are not especially bothered by this and are happy to continue eating flies and crickets. However it bothers me that I am required to do such an in depth cleaning on the tank on a daily basis. FYI, the substrate used is crushed corncob (dust free and silica free). I have taken this out and the chams are not happy with a glass floor.

I am skeptical to use carpeting as I worry mould will still be found here. Would a reptile sand be adequate?
    Below are images of my two chams, Sonic and Tails, and their enclosure.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Why not try a natural substrate like a mixture of soil and coconut fiber? That would allow for some more drainage of water, and if a substrate like that was put into the tank then it would open up possibilities of live plants which the animals would surely enjoy and you could introduce microfauna such as springtails in the enclosure which would clean up any small amounts of mold that still persisted.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its good that you removed the corn cob. In the presence of moisture it becomes a hotbed of fungus and bacteria! That is one product that should not be used for any thing.
    As for the water issue itself, I am guessing that it is due to the drip system? Try putting a small bowl under the drip to catch excess. You will have to keep an eye on it but it will be much less trouble than daily stripping the tank and less stressful to the chams.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    ETBMikenel likes this.
  4. ETBMikenel

ETBMikenel New Member

I do keep a small bowl underneath the drip system, but it doesn't account for splashing and I still find the tank in a mess after a good hour of dripping.
    Would the soil/ coconut fibre mix not result in moss and bacteria growing from the dripping/ misting system? If not, then I think that this would be the most effective route to go.
    I have also ordered a larger enclosure for them made from wood. Will this become an issue with the dripping system? If so, what would be the most effective way to combat the problem?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Maybe go with a deeper bowl. Also if the substrate is soaked after an hour I would slow the out put of the dripper.

If the wood in the new enclosure is not sealed it will rot.