This Disappears When Logged In

Dubia Roach Colony.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Thalatte, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Can a Dubia colony be housed in a 30 gallon aquarium?

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sure. Just cover the sides as they like darkness. Just be aware that the babies can climb the silicone in the corner joints.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Is there a way to stop the climbing? Like putting Vaseline or plastic in the corners?

5. Merlin

People talk about using vaseline or clear packing tape but I have never tried it as I use the plastic bins.

6. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I like plastic bins so much better. A lot lighter weight, you don't have to be careful with them like glass, easier to clean, less expensive. But an aquarium would work as well.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah but the area under the turtle tank where I keep the bins has been commandeered by mealworm colonies and dog beds so I don't have a place to put another bin. And with Tai being moved to a larger cage the thirty will be available and I don't want to get another animal just yet so might as well use it for roaches if it would house them.

8. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

You'll be fine with a tank, as long as you cover the sides with paper or keep it in a dark room.

You can use vaseline to put a 2" rim along the top that the roaches can't climb. It's pretty easy. I would also recommend a lid on the tank just in case! :)

9. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I use aquariums for my roach colonies and apply the packing tape, as well as a lid! No vaseline for me I have heard stories of it melting and running down the glass.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok I will try the tape and it will definitely have a lid.

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Packing tape works great.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Anyone know if there will be good feeder supplier at the tuscon show? I am hoping to get dubias and several species of worms...I.e. hornworms, butterworms, pheonixworms, silkworms, etc.

13. Merlin

In most of the shows I have attended its pretty hit and miss. Sometimes there are Dubia dealers there and sometimes there aren't. Mostly its meal worms, crickets, and rodents.
    I don't recall running across the more exotic feeders.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh darn. I went to the San Diego show and they had hornworms but I didn't know they could be fed at the time so I am hoping this show will have some but I think it will be smaller...oh well that's what the Internet is for.

15. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Aaron Pauling will be at the show with tons of roaches, and I think there are other vendors with silks & hornworms. Waxies, crickets, mealworms & supers should be there, too, although I think I found more variety, or at least stock, at the Phoenix show in Mesa, which is about 6 weeks away.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

My sister lives in Mesa...I might have to visit her...what's the date on that one? Nov right?

17. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

packing tape definitely works well!! That is what I use also and no issues at all

18. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Tia I also know a great seller, he does ship and I have never ever EVER had an issue with him. He is honest, generous and cheap if you ever need his info let me know I will gladly share.

19. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

So I've been gone for a while and my silkworm experiment was, for lack of better words, an abortion. I will not go into details about it. In earlier post I've said that my wife let me do a Dubia colony. They did extremely well while I was gone. So well in fact that we got Toothless a sister (Stormfly). It has been 8 months and I need to clean the bin... how do you clean it after the colony is established? I guess the real question is how do you separate the babies from the frass? I thought this is a perfect thread rather than create another.

20. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I get another bin, shake the egg cartons just a little bit until all the frass is off, and then move all the egg cartons to the new bin, shake one of the cartons off complete, put it in the old bin, use a cup and get all the roaches off the side, wait 5 minutes, then repeat.
    Also, if you're a nut like me and want to actually count them, I shake them off over cups in the old tub and count them in smaller quantities, write them down, then toss them in the new tub.

Don't be scared to start a new thread :)

21. DSling

DSling Well-Known Member

well, I put a heat cable through a hole in the container i guess i'll just have to redo it. Here is Toothless (red morph) and Stormfly(Red Leatherback). IMAG0672.jpg IMAG0673.jpg IMAG0676.jpg Both are named after How to train your dragon.