This Disappears When Logged In

Dubai Roach Breeding Questions

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Nicholas623, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Nicholas623

Nicholas623 Member

So I've been doing research lately on breeding Dubai roaches, I have 8 different animals to feed so I thought this would be a cheaper and better alternative to smelly crickets. I read that roaches can give you asthma/allergy symptoms. I don't have asthma, and the only allergies I have are with pollen which isn't very often. I also don't have any allergic reactions to crickets if that's a thing lol. I just wanted to know if any of you have allergic reactions, ways to avoid them, and how common it is to develop allergies. I would also like to know if it's worth breeding them or just buying crickets/roaches every other week.

-Nick

2. Never had that issue with Dubia roaches.
    They actually are much more expensive than crickets but they live much longer.
    It is worth it to breed them since u can save money that way in the long run.

3. Skink lover04

Skink lover04 Member

I would breed both. I think it's good to give your animals variety in their diet

4. Question because i have no idea how to start my own thread or forum i was thinking of adding baby formula to my dubia chow thoughts ?

5. And dubias are awesome investment go to dubiaking and order medium or large colony let them chill for 3 months only bother them to feed and water them yoyr good to go setup will cost $50.00 or so dubias $100.00 for 200 dubias so for $150.00 waiting 3 months then splitting colony into 2 colonies your set on food for your reptiles and you know what the dubias eat its costs about $10.00 a month to feed and water for every 1000 dubias you have

6. And allergies are possible to be safe handle with gloves and resperator. I have mine in a room i specifically have for my bearded dragons and ball pythons i also keep my rats and mice in there I've had no issues but its well ventilated with a exhaust fan

7. I'd rather breed dubia and just buy the crickets(when needed).
    Crickets stink and take much more work to keep alive.

8. Exactly stink and are noisy personally the sound doesnt bother me bit drives the wife crazy you can buy 1000 crickets for $12 its not bad but 3 full grown dragons will down those in a week or so. And again problem is you don't know what there fed buying from someone else is risky. Always loom at reviews about the seller

9. BonQuiQui

BonQuiQui New Member

Crickets are bad in general, your herps cant digest the shells and provide little nutrition

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Crickets, following roaches, are actually one of the better feeder insects. Their exoskeleton is not difficult to digest. I have been feeding crickets to reptiles for over 20 years. lol On their own, crickets have a low health value but it is higher than other common feeders, with the exception being roaches. Before you feed crickets to your reptiles, you are suppose to gutload them. Gutloading them will ensure they are highly nutritious if you are feeding the crickets a nutritious diet.

11. BonQuiQui

BonQuiQui New Member

I was under the assumption that the crickets being fed were store bought dudes, they've never outstanding results without the power feeding, have you ever owned any leopard geckos? they're shells would always appear in the droppings.

12. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I currently own 8 leopard geckos. I bred leopard geckos for 10+ years and have owned them now for around 17 years or so. In addition to leopard geckos I also bred bearded dragons, fire skinks, crested geckos, etc. I have owned insectivores for years and have even bred the cricket themselves. I have owned reptiles longer than you have been alive, literally. lol (I see your profile says you are 17. I have that many years just with leopard geckos. )

I also feed mealworms to my leopard geckos. Mealworms have the harder chitin that isn't as digestible and leopard geckos can eat them without an issue as well.

13. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

As long as the animals are eating appropriately sized prey items their systems should be able to break down the shells (or they should be able to crush them up with their jaws) at least enough to pass them safely. That's what they as insect eaters evolved to do. If you ever find the droppings of a coyote or an outdoor cat or some other predator you'll probably see lots of fur and little bits of bones here and there. The animals couldn't digest those parts all the way but they were still able to pass them perfectly well which is what's important.