This Disappears When Logged In

Community Tank?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Chase Kurek, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Chase Kurek

Chase Kurek Member

I have been thinking of starting a community tank, but im not sure what to put in it. I know i want to put 2-3 crocodile skinks, but im not sure what would be compatible with them. (It will be a 20-50 gallon tank,), any suggestions will help..

2. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Member

Nothing's gonna work with crocodile skinks as they're very shy. I would watch for anything happening with even the 2-3 that are going in the tank. That's all. I also know the care if you need that too.

3. Chase Kurek

Chase Kurek Member

So I would at least want something similar to the Crocodile skinks. If I didn't use them, what are some good lizards that would work in a 20-50 gallon community tank

4. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Member

You can do some leopard geckos or fire bellies toads. I have to know the exact size because some species may work in a 40 breeder and not in a 20 gallon long. I honestly think a small colony of leopard geckos are good because they're social and fun to have.

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You really should keep species separate. Geckos and iguanas (for example) don't hang out together in the wild. It's very stressful for different reptiles to be in an enclosure together.

6. Sebastian Baird

Sebastian Baird New Member

Leopard geckos would get a repitory infeciotion if you added them to the high humidity needs of the Crocodile Skinks enclosure.

7. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Member

I meant without the crocodile skinks in their own separate tank not with them

8. Chase Kurek

Chase Kurek Member

so,
    i have come to the idea of a community tank with crested geckos, tree frogs, but im not sure if anoles would work in there. Would they, i would like some in there if possible

9. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

As long as by "community tank" you are referring to 3 separate tanks in the same room, or an enclosure the size of your livingroom, sure go ahead.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A community enclosure is something many keepers toy with but very few are successful with. The common denominator for the successful ones are 2 things. 1. A previous working knowledge of the species involved, which are all from the same part of the world. And 2nd, a LARGE enclosure. Think zoo level.
    Reptiles for the most part, really don't lend themselves to communal living.

11. Jacob Eddy

Jacob Eddy Member

Try a community tank of different dart frogs