This Disappears When Logged In

Can I Have Insects In The Same Cage As My Bp?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Tbrit, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Tbrit

Tbrit New Member

I am very into having a very naturalistic setup and want to have something living alongside my bp. I know that other reptiles or snakes is out of the question, but besides the bioactive insects such as isopods, can you have decorative insects like stick insects or butterflies in the cage with it?

2. to hide this ad.
  3. This is a bad idea. You aren't even supposed to introduce sticks into ANY snakes tank without properly disinfecting them. It also wouldn't be a natural environment unless you are harvesting bugs from Africa. You have to remember where these snakes come from.
    Not one reptile owner I know does this, there is a reason. If you want to decorate their tank, buy something abiotic from your local pet store.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry but this part just isn't true. I have been using locally harvested wood in all my cages for many years, and the most I ever do is hose off the dirt and maybe soak to remove bugs. Never in 20 odd years of reptile keeping had a problem.
    As far as the bugs in the snake tank though, I do agree with you, bad idea all around. Less are they would end up stressing the snake, and balls tend to find enough excuses to stop eating on their own without any help.

5. That's what I meant. You don't just grab a stick from outside and stick it in the enclosure. I probably could have changed my wording a bit but when I say disinfect I mean at least soak in hot water. Never have I ever heard of people collecting sticks and sticking them in their enclosure without doing anything to them.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Subscribed User Premium Member

Nope, no hot water most of the time. Of course, many of my faves use a bio active substrate, so there would be little point in trying to sterilize anything.

7. I would at least soak it in hot water to flush out any bugs. That would be a concern in my opinion.