This Disappears When Logged In

Cage Setup!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by DuoReptiles, May 15, 2017.

?

What substrate do you use for your Python?

This poll will close on Dec 15, 2017 at 3:19 PM.
  1. Aspen Shavings

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Soil / Dirt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Newspaper / Paper towels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. EcoEarth Bedding from local pet shop.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DuoReptiles

DuoReptiles New Member

I have a bearded dragon in my house and I was looking forward to getting my first snake, a Ball Python! I have some supplies for the snake setup already such as a cave for hiding and this log sculpture for i don't know. ;)

Anyways, the question is what type of substrate can I use and where can I buy it? Some people say you can't use aspen wood, some say you can, some people say you can use potting soil, some say you can't. Its confusing... and can I use a fake plant for the pythons setup? I have some fake plant decors laying around.

Thanks!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Fake plants are fine, potting soil often has chemicals and other stuff that can be harmful to reptiles so I would say no on that. Aspen is just fine to use with snakes, however I've not had good luck getting good humidity using it so I only use it with my colubrids that prefer a drier environment. For ball pythons, ground coconut fiber (eco-earth) or cypress mulch are good, as both will hold humidity well. I actually use around a 50/50 mix of the 2, and it work well for me. As for buying the stuff, a local pet store that has a reptile section, or online will be your best bet. Look for eco-earth for the ground coconut fiber and forest floor for the cypress. Those are product names sold by specific brands, but the materials are both sold by different companies under different product names, while still being the same material.